Moths In my Drum!

BlackieJane

• Members

Okay, i realize most of you play kit or the types of drums that maybe don't have this issue. I have some dunduns that i got a few months ago. I'm noticing some moths here and there in my apartment and i'm certain it's coming from inside the drum. I imagine there are some month eggs in there waiting to hatch and reproduce. Someone suggested putting it in a deep freezer for a few hours, but that seems counterintuitive for the health of the drum and i really don't want to damage the skin or wood. I was thinking of wrapping them in garbage bags for a few days to try to starve them of oxygen, but i'm not so sure that would work. Any suggestions out there?

fcc07d77351a0e14804d9f36d83fb573.jpg.a8cdec4b4557581506be27ecdd0cd909.jpg

• Members

How big are these moths. I assume pretty small right. Are there holes big enough in the shells so they would escape? I'm having trouble comprehending how they would 1. get in the drum and 2. get out of the drum. Unless the eggs are under the hoop of the drum head. You may need to keep the drums bagged up for a period of time.

According to about.com:

The length of time required for the egg to hatch is dependent on the species, as well as environmental factors. Some species lay winter-hardy eggs in the fall, which hatch the following spring or summer.

This process could take a while to clear up.

Archived