Drum Charts

Dendy Jarrett

• Members

Thanks Dendy. Very useful. I usually hack my way through a tune I'm learning and when I go back to it days later I don't have a clue what most of it means. I'm a pretty visual learner so to see someone actually map out a song and discuss along the way is very helpful.

BTW, I'd also like to say thanks for posting as much as you do. It's helping to keep things alive around here, besides the fact that the posts are informative and interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Drum sheet music is one of the best learning tools for drummers at every level. The versatility it offers presents the chance to fine tune all sorts of skills, from reading to timing, sticking, familiarization, etc.

Gigging drummers often use drum sheet music to expand their repertoire of songs, making them more valuable to bands who would hire them. A drummer who is solid with the songs in our library is a valuable commodity to many hiring bands. Preparation is key to success in just about everything, and for gigging drummers, our drum music provides an invaluable preparation resource.

At the same time though, drum charts are fantastic learning tools for drum students of all levels, and by the same token, for drum teachers as well. My dad has found this out from a good deal of experience. He started teaching drums privately to aspiring drummers in the early 70s and he's been doing it ever since. In addition, he's written Mel Bay instructional books, and now even teaches at a local college in San Diego, in addition to privately in his home studio.

Archived