Todd Sucherman

1001gear

• Members

So this name is at the top of Drum Mags Drummies Clinician category. I would have ignored it but Mike Johnston was runner up. Hmmm ...

[video=youtube;PI6_vmwjX4M]

Yes I do live under a rock. Look him up. Lesson, covers, warehouse full of variations....

• Members

"clinician" drummers....the "shred guitarists" of the drum world.

Songs that basically only serve as a delivery device for a chops exhibition are a completely valid form of music...I mean, R&B/pop... has used that formula for years to showcase great singers...the Mariah Carey's for example....and the shred guitarists......and one can get whatever emotion out of them that they feel....I have some favorites that move me from those genres. But not many. And in my opinion this one is pretty boring and sounds like every other modern drummer (no pun intended) obsessed with ghost notes, over syncopation, and flamed descending fills.

• Members

Hah, Styx? Ironic. Not crazy about Styx nor Journey but Smith and now this guy are becoming favorites. 16x16_man-indifferent.png

[video=youtube;7VJvpEvdbrg]

Thing I like immediately about his instruction as in this lesson is he's got the thing developed melodically and with variations and in a stable rhythmic context.

He's a solid player' date=' no doubts.[/quote']

Indeed. Slams those three handed flams with no lag whatsoever.

• Members
"clinician" drummers....the "shred guitarists" of the drum world.

Songs that basically only serve as a delivery device for a chops exhibition are a completely valid form of music...I mean, R&B/pop... has used that formula for years to showcase great singers...the Mariah Carey's for example....and the shred guitarists......and one can get whatever emotion out of them that they feel....I have some favorites that move me from those genres. But not many. And in my opinion this one is pretty boring and sounds like every other modern drummer (no pun intended) obsessed with ghost notes, over syncopation, and flamed descending fills.

You're trying to left hand a non issue there. Eh, wattevuh...

Shred guitarists though - blech. Not the fusion guys but the Angwee types. They take a perfectly fine melodic instrument and try drumming with'em. The drummers win in this regard.

• Members

You're trying to left hand a non issue there. Eh, wattevuh...

Shred guitarists though - blech. Not the fusion guys but the Angwee types. They take a perfectly fine melodic instrument and try drumming with'em. The drummers win in this regard.

This is "angwee" to me.

• Members
I? Seemed irrelevant zall. Maybe you angwee? Must be lots of stress being you. (?)

I suppose it's only irrelevant if it's something you disagree with right? lol. Of course then it's just easier to act like I'm angry.....than accept that some people find things that you like BOOOORING.....

that's OK....I've understood you for a long time......I knew that going in when I made the first post.

• Members

Getting into it with SC is pointless he won't reason and goes right to personal attacks. It's like those drug arrests on COPS. He attacks with that subjectivity crap all over HC and seems to have Diplomatic immunity. So this time I just reported it. (Thanks for stepping in Dendy)

Anyway Todd Sucherman input welcome ...

• Members

Gabuzshda Is that Yiddish?

We were in Denver a couple weekends ago, had to leave on Monday and he was doing a clinic in the area on Monday. I wish I could have gone cuz I think he does some interesting stuff. But I'm also glad he's got a sense of humor about it too.

• Members
Getting into it with SC is pointless he won't reason and goes right to personal attacks. It's like those drug arrests on COPS. He attacks with that subjectivity crap all over HC and seems to have Diplomatic immunity. So this time I just reported it. (Thanks for stepping in Dendy)

Anyway Todd Sucherman input welcome ...

yeah...my comments were soooooo terrible......not liking some music....what a crime....lol...

(I wonder if I should report you every time I see you rip people for the music they like...lol...it'd be a full time job)

oh...and by the way....I did give reasons why I didn't like the drumming specifically.

Next time.....if you only want approval.....say somewhere in your post that "only positive comments are welcome in this thread" and you won't see me post in it. Simple as that.

• Members

I just gotta say I'm not even involved here. The guy has no musical argument. He just wants to hassle me. It doesn't take two posts before he's all ape{censored} hypocrite going for my personality and his subjective rights. Sass with no substance, so what else is new. SC though just wants to battle. I got no use for that so I report it. In all the BS people wanna put you through, SC is the only guy I've ever reported.

• Members

Oh, I thought someone was going to add a productive comment here. So I will,

I've never gotten to hear a sound creation ride. In face there's allot I'm missing living in a rural area with the closest 'big' music store 2.5 hours away.

Also, I've been knocking around the idea of a 20" bass drum either up on a stand or on legs behind my 16" floor tom (I have a 20" MIJ shell). What kind of head would work for something like what Todd has in the video? I normally use Evans 2 ply coated heads on my regular toms.

• Members
Come on guys: Chill. By the way, one of my favorite cymbals of all time was a Sound Creation ride!

D

actually that's why I chose the name....I've got a dark 20" and a set of dark sound edge hats...they really are every bit as good as the hype they get.

• Members
Actually I meant using the 20" as a tom.

good idea, i did that too.

anyway, stick with what you know. i wouldn't get all fanc with the heads, just match what your toms are and go from there. incidentally, i used a coated two ply on mine. the one ply just seemed too thin.

Archived