Suggestion for Bass Drum head? (Pearl Session Custom)

racoustic

• Members

So I have recently acquired a Pearl Session Custom kit and the way I would describe the kind of music I Play is a mix of rock, fusion, and modern (I.e. not metal, don't use a double base pedal). I changed the tom heads with Remo Pinstripes (still trying to get the right tuning :)). I do like a "thud" style sound (sorry for the technical term ;)) but don't like the sound to be too damp (think Carter Beauford of Dave Matthews band).

1. Given this setup, what are some recommended drum bass heads (mind you, there is not muffling such as pillow etc. inside the drum right now)?

2. I would like a head that is easy to tune and have heard good reviews about EVANS EMAD2 but suspect if it may sound too damp (metal type)?

3. How would you compare Remo Powerstroke pro with the EVANS

Thanks all. I am still a bit to new to "owning" a good kit so appreciate your responses and patience :)

• Members

I have never run the Powerstroke pro so I can't make comparisons. But I can say that I am running an Evans EQ3 clear along with an Aquarian Full Force II reso on an 18" x 22" kick, on one set, and an Evans Emad clear with an Evans Emad reso on a 14" x 22" kick on another set, and I am happy with both set-ups. I play 60's rock and Blues.

• Members

The Remo demo doesn't sound as good to me as a PS3 with a pillow - IMO the generic pop standard. The PS3 though is still a single ply head so catastrophic failure is always imminent.. I prefer the pillow because you can lay the mic right inside the drum. Make the mic a D6 and you're done. Incidentally the D6 and proper muffling will do more towards getting "that" kick drum sound than going through all those specialized heads. That said I use a pinstripe bass drum head. I've reinforced the strike area so it's pretty much indestructible. You just wont hear it on any records.

• Members

I think the Remove Pinstripe and Powerstroke 3 are both awesome heads. You've got a great kick, so if you tune well, you'll get an awesome sound. Much of bass drum tone is a result of how you choose to muffle, but those are both great heads.

The Evans EQ3 is a GREAT head, too - that's what I run now on both of my drum sets and between that, an EQ3 mufflling pad, and a little extra low-end EQ from the mic, we've got a booty-thumper propelling my band.

• Members

everyone raves about the ps3, i couldn't get anything out of it but a curt "thud." that and the pinstripe are one trick ponies, imo. one good thing about them is, you can get a quick decent sound with no dampening.

personally, i use an ambassador with a falam patch. detune a single lug to lessen ring. pillow if ya want.

• Members

Kick drums in a band are one trick ponies. To me the generic, dry, snares off, 5x14 sound except real low frequency is all you want from a kick drum - and they all - Evans EQ, Remo PS3 Ho, who else makes large diameter drum head? do it.

• Members
everyone raves about the ps3, i couldn't get anything out of it but a curt "thud." that and the pinstripe are one trick ponies, imo. one good thing about them is, you can get a quick decent sound with no dampening.

personally, i use an ambassador with a falam patch. detune a single lug to lessen ring. pillow if ya want.

The Powerstroke 3 and Pinstripes are TOTALLY one trick ponies, but they do what they're made to do. In that the OP was asking about liking a "thud," I'd say it's a great start for him.

Good point on the Ambassador, though -- you'll certainly get more versatility out of it. Every have an issue breaking one of those?

• Members

nah, unless there's a faulty one, i don't see how anyone would break one. not that it doesn't happen, though. i've never broken one and i play heel-up, pretty hard sometimes. i just use a regular beater though.. in fact, i usually replace a kick head only if i'm gonna record.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks all. I ended up buying Remo Powerstroke 3 for 30something dollars and muffled with Evans EQ Pad. So far so good. I am still experimenting and learning through trials how best to tune, as I feel its a bit lower than what I would like it to be. Let's see... always keep learning :)

• Members

Over 20 years ago, I had a b-line Pearl kit and the bass never really sounded that good. Then I saw this and used it with a Pinstripe and no pillow and it sounded like a cannon and stayed in tune and I could get a good all around thump out of it. I cut a port in the front head and would slip in a very flimsy pillow in it when I want to tame it some or for mostly keeping the sound down when I practiced. So just pick the head you like (the others have raised so very good options) and use this, I helped me a lot and I've used one on ever set I've had since then as well! Hope this helps!

0149652aa5f09676c2e4c8a0d188f0a4.jpg.44c432dc28943356bbc1bbeb97654d09.jpg

Archived