Hybrid brand set up

FitchFY

• Members

Out of curiosity, do any of you guys use hybrid brand set ups? That is to say, you have like two Pearl rack toms, a PDP bass drum, and a Gretsch floor tom? I think drummers are really attached to their brands and we want the matching sounds and looks, but history has told us that many people have used different drums in the studio. What about your day to day kit?

This is all aside from snare drums, of course...

• Members

I too play three different kits (2 Ludwig's and 1 Pearl), and all of the drums match their respective kits. As for snare drums, aside from the snares that came with the sets, I have 2 additional Ludwig Snares, a Black Magic 6.5 x 14 and a brass piccolo (Venus) 3.7 x 14. All of my cymbals are Zildjian and I am not adverse to adding cymbals from another manufacturer, but I have not found any yet that compliment my existing pies. When It comes to hardware, I am all over the place. I have pedals from Tama and Ludwig, Hi hat stands from Tama and Ludwig. My cymbal stands are a mix of Pearl and PDP, snare stands are Pearl and Ludwig. I will also add that I use different sticks depending on the music and volume that I'm after. I use 1 specific Vic Firth Stick (Zoro Signature) and 2 specific Regal Tip sticks (Jazz & Groovers). While it may look like I'm a brand loyalist I think I can say that my choices are driven by sound and reliability over brand name. I do tend to favor brands when it comes to heads or hardware. I just love Evans heads due to their sound, reliability and GREAT customer service, and I am partial to the high end Pearl hardware (even though they are heavy) because I love their design and adjustability.

• Members

Speaking of idle drum chat, I just remembered a conversation I had recently. Seems a very well known drum star is reputed to be fed up with sponsors and is currently sporting not just the mixed shells of his various former endorsements, he now sports a completely Frankenated drum kit. Lugs, shells, hoops, cymbals and other hrdwr, completely chop suey'd.

• Members
Speaking of idle drum chat, I just remembered a conversation I had recently. Seems a very well known drum star is reputed to be fed up with sponsors and is currently sporting not just the mixed shells of his various former endorsements, he now sports a completely Frankenated drum kit. Lugs, shells, hoops, cymbals and other hrdwr, completely chop suey'd.

I always appreciated that John Fishman (of the band Phish) had a very hybrid setup, especially in his cymbals. He picked them because he liked them and didn't care about endorsements.

• Members

That's probably how most are. With the stars though, they take the free drums and they locked into the 'sell our drums' plan. Our rebel star back there couldn't relate to the sales position and being booked everywhere they needed to sell drums. Can't fault'm.

Archived