Tommy Lee's Drum Solo

Dendy Jarrett

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
And that big AZZ bass drum' date=' I want one.[/quote'] If it's the same kit he was using a few years back, he isn't even playing that big kick. He's using a trigger pedal that doesn't touch the kick. It's all for show, because he's a poser.

• Members
If it's the same kit he was using a few years back' date=' he isn't even playing that big kick. He's using a trigger pedal that doesn't touch the kick. It's all for show, because he's a poser.[/quote']

Yeah, a triggered bass drum. And of course it's for show - it's Motley Crue.

But calling Tommy Lee a poser - that's misuse of the word. Tommy Lee, more than almost any other musician in modern times, OWNS and is all the junk that he purports. This is a man who believes in everything he does: he is a rapper, a lead singer, a guitarist, a pianist, an actor, a showman, a DJ, has done every drug and drank every bottle, has tagged more 90s models than Baywatch casted as extras, started the celebrity sex tape fad, creates and purports his own image, is an author, a radio host, a dreamer (roller coaster drum solo? Flying across stages on a harness?), and at the end of the day is STILL a solid and killer rock drummer who has inspired thousands of drummers across the world to pick up sticks and give them a twirl?

Poser? I disagree.

• Members

He isn't using the gigantic kick at all. He's posing. His playing in rudimentary at best, and boring as hell. In the part of the video I was able to stomach, it sounded like he was just doing quads behind really loud and obnoxious samples. He's in Motley Crue, a glam band, so yes he's a poser. They are all style (their make up and mode of dress) and no substance (their music). One thing that's always bothered me about them and KISS is that they are dressed all tough and mean, but they are singing love songs. I'm not saying he hasn't done a lot of thing in his career, but at the same time if Motley Crue is the be all end all rock band, then he's sold out big time doing his projects since then. :angry37:

• Members

He isn't using the gigantic kick at all. He's posing. His playing in rudimentary at best, and boring as hell. In the part of the video I was able to stomach, it sounded like he was just doing quads behind really loud and obnoxious samples. He's in Motley Crue, a glam band, so yes he's a poser. They are all style (their make up and mode of dress) and no substance (their music). One thing that's always bothered me about them and KISS is that they are dressed all tough and mean, but they are singing love songs. I'm not saying he hasn't done a lot of thing in his career, but at the same time if Motley Crue is the be all end all rock band, then he's sold out big time doing his projects since then. :angry37:

• Members

Yes, he may be a poser, But like Ringo in the 60's, Peter Criss in the 70's, and Alex Van Halen in 80's, he's one of those drummers that almost every time I've told someone I'm a drummer, Tommy is one of those drummers that gets mentioned. He is what the public thinks of when they think drummer, good or bad. He is a showman and this helps prove that.

• Members

Interesting debate. I see a bit of both sides, but my opinion of music and musicians has always been that I regard music as an aural medium first and foremost. The visual is far less important. I can't see the tricks and gimmicks when I put an album,tape or CD on the stereo, but I sure as hell can hear it. Impress me with playing skills, not gimmicks.

In the case of Tommy Lee, he certainly is a showman, but if you strip away everything down to just his playing, I think he is just an average player at best.

My $0.02

• Members
Personally' date=' I like dogs better when they are cats, and I have three cats. Doesn't change the fact that Tommy Lee isn't what he portrays (all show and no go, playing wise).[/quote']

I'm just busting chops, man - I know you know your stuff. I just scoff anytime someone calls someone "a poser," because I think it's silly.

• Members

I sense some jealousy here? Seriously though, seeing them live they were better than AC/DC and frankly better than KISS. KISS is bigger badder show etc, but I can only take hearing Paul say "how ya all feel" ONE time after that I wanted him to shutup and I was a fan since i bought the destroyer album and brought it to show n tell in the first grace (the nun didn't like that much). Used to idolize Peter Criss but after seeing a few live interviews, he would be a great guy if he wasn't such a whiner. And Gene. All about the $, big turnoff, hope he get's some surgery and his face falls off.

To be honest the backbone of the Crue is Mick. He didn't move much, looked kinda freaky, but his playing style was so smooth for a metal player, it was like he was playing in his sleep and bored and I'm not into guitar at all.....

I still say if you want to be impressed, Jazz drummers did all the impressive stuff 80 years ago, it just wasn't recorded in a fancy studio with fancy effects played on fancy speakers with a super flat frequency response.

• Members

Mötley Crüe isn't metal. They are more glam rock if anything, hence the discussion we are having about the all style no substance "drum solo." Compare Motley Crüe to bands like Nile, Black Dahlia Murder, Death, Lamb of God, Obscura, Morbid Angel, Cryptopsy, etc, etc, and you will see that they aren't metal in the least bit.

• Members

I saw the show and the roller coaster part was cool, his playing during the solo wasn't impressive, I'm a drummer and most solo's kind of bore me after a short time, but being watching him just play while the entire platform was spinning was fun to watch

Archived