To cut or not to cut; that is the question

Drumstix101

• Members

So last week I did something that I haven't done in decades, I cracked a cymbal. It's a 15" A Zildjian thin crash. The crack runs about 1/2" up from the outer edge in a straight line toward the center. As soon as I got home I drilled the cymbal to stop any further traveling of the crack; I hope.

I have access to a machine shop and shouldn't have any problem removing 1/2" off of the radius of the cymbal, thus turning it into a 14" thin crash.

My question to you is, should I be afraid that the cymbal will develop a circular crack at the drilled hole because of it being a "thin" crash and the edges might vibrate like hell and cause a circular crack to start? Also do you think cutting the diameter down by 1" will dramatically change the sound of the cymbal?

So would you cut it, or leave it be, and hope for the best?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So I decided to throw that pie in a lathe and turn it into a 14" cymbal without a crack in it. I used it this weekend and I am happy to say that it doesn't sound bad. I has a very slight trashy sound to it, but it still compliments all of my other cymbals. I also tried it as a Hi-Hat and it does sound real good. I tried it both as a bottom and a top and I think I like it as a bottom a little better. My little Breakbeat set has a ride tom mount that has a clamp on the right side of it. I do believe that I will be looking at getting a closed Hi Hat mount and clamp that puppy in the mount. It will place a closed set of hats slightly above my ride and I'll be able to play closed hats open handed. Now I have to find another single 14" Hi Hat cymbal to get the ball rolling.

Archived