Aux hi-hat-ish sound ideas

FitchFY

• Members

I have a project where I'm playing a lot of hip-hop. As many of these songs have a bar break here or there, I wanted a different riding surface for the tone of the instrument along the lines of an auxilary hi-hat.

Any ideas? I have an army of cracked cymbals, so my first attempt was 2 cracked 10" splash cymbals mounted on a stand, which provided a very dark and trashy sound without a ton of chick. Not a bad start, but I'm betting there are other ideas -- anyone got any?

• Members

crashes. nice sounding and when you open 'em it makes for a nice exaggerated wash. (think trashy crash you can choke when you drop your foot.)

i like how you can tighten it up and play closer to the bell for a more "traditional" hat sound. then when you open it, hit the same spot with the taper of your stick. nice ring that you can choke whenever.

i find the bigger cymbals make great hats. way more options. (i like zildjian 17" mediums the best.)

• Members

The craziest sound I ever heard from a Hi Hat stand was a clank. i don't think it would work in Hip Hop, but I thought I'd throw it out for those that might be interested.

I saw a guy mount two roto tom castings on a secondary Hi Hat. they looked to be around 14" or 15" castings and the "clank" that he got out of them was outstanding. I didn't get a chance to get a good look at them, and I never had any roto toms myself, so i don't know what he had to do to mount them, but it was cool.

• Members

Thanks, dudes! I'm just using a cymbal stand, so no auxilary pedal, but I'm getting some ideas.

DStix, I have some Roto-tom "chimes" and am thinking about the sounds I'd get pairing those up with an old cymbal or some tambourine ideas... hmmm. Thanks, guys!

• Members

If you want to hear something that isn't in hip hop, but would sound fantastic IN hiphop, scroll down to the Woodwind and Brasswind forums and go the the Woodwind section and go the post titles Snarky Puppy ... here is the link:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/woodwind-and-brass/woodwind-instruments/31188078-going-to-hear-snarky-puppy-this-week

Give a listen to the first minute of the song and see what the sound the drummer is getting out of a 10" side snare with a splash laying on the head. Pretty rad.

D

• Members

Fitch....just had a thought. Major playa out of nashville...Lester Estelle. He stacks an effex cymbal on another gets a cool sound out of it, much like a high hat. If nothing else Lester shares many vids for drummers......he is awesome...wanna be just like him when I grow up.

• Members

I like that tight solid sound he gets. No fault of that Euro style timpani grip.

Notice he basically keeps his hand wrapped around the sticks. Its like an elastomeric joint rather than the standard teeter totter fulcrum. Allows playing with heavier sticks and using the big muscles.

Archived