More lugs = more tunage?

Gremson

• Members

So here's a silly question,..

What are the advantages and disadvantages having many or fewer lugs on a snare? I see more lugs making it easier to fine tune your snare, but what else?

My desire for a vintage Slingerland Blue/Silver duco snare hasn't faded. I'm finding a couple six-lug snares for good prices, and I'm wondering how having 4 fewer lugs will effect me.

• Members

Uh Oh...I'm gonna have to sort of disagree with Dendy ( duck...swing...duck...block assualt with my right arm) The more lugs the finer the tuning...TO A POINT. It a) depends on the circumference of the drum, b) the pliability and thickness of the head and c) how much is too much. They say the more lugs, the more accurate ...I have found that when you start to get too many lugs involved for the circumference of the drum. the marginal fraction of the pitch change also can be inhibited. That's because, the space between the 2 lugs is too small. When you start getting casings that are only like 2-3 inches apart, the amount of head that will be tensioned is kinda too small to make a legitimate differnce. I've had tunings actually inhibited because even though I was loosening 1 lug, the next lug in line had so much tension on it, that it would not leg the original lug respond correctly. More is good, if tempered with distance and circumference between each lug. My best sounding snare per se, is my old 10 leg Supraphonic. Does it tune better than an 8 lug Acrolite...yes...if I has 12 or 14 lugs to a side, I don't think it would be any better...JMO...

( duck...swing...duck...block assualt with my left arm)smiley-tongue

• Members

Caveat or clarifications to my statement that had the Carm-Challenge: I was pretty much limiting those comments to snare drums. ALTHOUGH, I can never get my toms to sound as good with regular 2.3mm power hoops as they do with Gretsch style die-cast hoops! :)

D

(swing ... duck ... swing ... downward blunt force with right arm) :)

• Members

I've had a few 8 lug snares, played a few 6 lug snares, and played some and owned at least one 10 lug snare. On a 14" snare, To me 6 lugs just isn't enough, it will get you approx. where you want to be for punk or grunge and some vintage or trashy sounding snare sounds. 8 Lugs is better, you can tighten more for pop or country or where more tuning or stick definition is needed (ALL depends on the head of course!) You can do brushes and ghost notes but with little "articulation" (meaning far away from the set and you won't hear those soft hits as well) 10 lugs lets you tune very well and still lets the drum head breathe and still sound somewhat "Open" in my humble opinion. On a drum set, I really wouldn't see the need for a 12 or higher lug snare UNLESS you are part of a symphony or something where delicate snare work was still needed. Then you might look at Concert Snares or Marching snares where the drums are so "crisp" you could almost play them by tapping on them.

• Members

My go to snare drum of choice is a 1972 6 lug wood drum with die cast hoops. I can tune it up/down for jazz/blues/rock/country whatever. And it's plenty loud. I've gotten many compliments over the years for my snare drum sound. The key to tuning has more to do with good unmuffled heads and the the person at the other end of the drum key.

I have a few other drums with more lugs, but I don't see that as a big difference in my ability to tune them. A lot of it is drum manufacturer marketing hype IMHO.

• Members
My go to snare drum of choice is a 1972 6 lug wood drum with die cast hoops. .

The die cast hoops are the game changer for that snare. If you put triple flanged hoops on it, it would be a different animal, because the hoop isn't as stiff and would bend/flex when played. The die cast also dries the tone out some too.

Archived