Why do you share your videos?

FitchFY

• Members

I find the concept of sharing your videos to be really interesting. We've seen a variety of things on this forum with these videos:

- Just generic sharing of something we think is cool

- Newbies coming in and expecting us to worship at the altar of System of a Down drum covers

- Truly impressive playing or creative ideas being executed

- Cool gig footage of teh ladiez!

Over the past few weeks, I've started sharing a few clips on Facebook done from my iPhone of things I'm working on or trying, and I got in a great discussion as to WHY I do that. A guitarist friend of mine, who is very encouraging, is always pushing for me to do a YouTube channel, but that's just not something I'm really that into: my playing isn't impressive - I'd just use it to get gigs.

I told him I share clips on Facebook because of accountability. To me, so many musicians only share their perfect notes, their perfect moments. To just slap up the iPhone and try something new or be like "here's an idea," is at the core, the joy of sharing our musicianship. For example, last night I was playing along with an old band's CD, and before I got to the "drum solo" of one of the songs, I hit pause, flipped on the camera, and then posted the results, for better or worse. That makes me feel accountable to my friends and fans who come to see a show -- they know I'm working on my skills to please them, as wel as myself and other musicians.

What do you think? What kind of things do you post on social media of your playing?

• Members

Ive yet to make any vids, of myself, band, or otherwise. I dont consider myself a great player...sure as hell cant solo. But Ive been trying to find a way to get some decent vids of our band, but it takes someone to run the camera, and tryin to find help dong that in a small band is almost futile. In our group Im already playing drums, singing, running lights, running sound, and setting most everything up.......guess I need to find a way to run video too! I did about a year ago, set up my camera behind my kit as a birdseyeview , but the sound was distorted, so that got scrapped.

• Members
Ive yet to make any vids, of myself, band, or otherwise. I dont consider myself a great player...sure as hell cant solo. But Ive been trying to find a way to get some decent vids of our band, but it takes someone to run the camera, and tryin to find help dong that in a small band is almost futile. In our group Im already playing drums, singing, running lights, running sound, and setting most everything up.......guess I need to find a way to run video too! I did about a year ago, set up my camera behind my kit as a birdseyeview , but the sound was distorted, so that got scrapped.

my old band had a few fans who approached us about shooting videos. they were psyched to do something with their skills, and ended up working really cheap. we got about four or five videos (all edited, looking pretty,) as well as about four full-length shows just for our personal pleasure. had someone not approached us about it, we would have never done it.

i know it's all about promotion, and had we actually worried about making money with that gig, we would have taken it more seriously. but, honestly, we really could have used having someone doing the real behind the scenes promo work. my sister does it for her husband's band and they make some real money.

• Members

To each his own, I always say.

Personally, I don't feel the need to post audio or video of myself playing (mainly because I'm too damned lazy! lol). I get my validation not by folks on social media posting "wow. cool. right on." etc.. For me, the validation comes when the phone rings and I get called for a gig, especially if it's to fill in with a band I don't normally play with! That tells me I'm doing something right.

On top of that, I'm kind of an old fart (will be 60 in a couple of years!), so I feel I need to 'step aside' and let the younger ones take center stage. I've had my time in the sun, and it was a blast, but now I should move back into the shadows. Still a lot of fun to be had there! very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

• Members

The "accountability" one is an interesting concept and one I hadn't considered. So now one can't just play a gig and post of vid of playing well, one needs to post vids of them practicing so watchers know you are accountable? "We must hold our drummers accountable". Since I don't do the whole "social media" thing I may have just missed out on this.

I post up vids on youtube so my friends can watch them. Also, so I can watch them! I have only posted up videos from gigs. No lessons or anything like that. I will continue to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't normally share videos, but we were given a video of all of our 3 sets at the Summer Solstice party that we played in Wisconsin two weeks ago. I thought that I'd put together a demo video because we don't have one, and we are constantly being asked for one.The quality of the video that we were given wasn't that good, but beggars can't be choosers and I was truly grateful to get it. One of these days we'll record a quality demo, but this will do for now.

I decided to share the video with with you guys here because I'm proud of all the old coots that play with me and I would like to show them off. Also I now have recorded proof that those little Breakbeats that I play in the smaller places do sound good. They are unmiked and still are running the stock heads. I figure if they ain't broke, they don't need fixin'

• Members

I post stuff for giggles. I'm know I'm not a really gifted player, but I like to play, so I share some stuff.

If anyone wants a great laugh, you can find my entertainment on a couple YouTube channels

http://www.youtube.com/AManScrned

http://www.youtube.com/Numbskull814

Feel free to point, laugh, groan or cringle all you want LOL :)

• Members

We've recorded a few of our gigs for our own references mostly, as the sound is terrible through the handicam, but it has shown us how little anyone moves; I am actually the most emotive player which shouldn't be the case I feel. If you can tell the guy sitting down is moving around more than the guys who can walk and play, something is wrong!

We recently decided to setup the camera when at the studio, the first time Ive ever taken video of my own playing. That looks wonderful and will sync up perfectly to the studio audio. Just waiting for the final cut. Sadly; it is our most tame song; a very Gilmour-esque ballad. But it is such a joy to play, simple 4/4 and all. Ill post it once I have it.

• Members
We recently decided to setup the camera when at the studio, the first time Ive ever taken video of my own playing. That looks wonderful and will sync up perfectly to the studio audio. Just waiting for the final cut. Sadly; it is our most tame song; a very Gilmour-esque ballad. But it is such a joy to play, simple 4/4 and all. Ill post it once I have it.

Cool! I think filming your band at the practice space doing a fake show for a song or two is wildly helpful. What's really interesting is that many of us grew up in a time when recording yourself on either video or audio was simply not an option unless you had big money -- any of you guys remember running headphones through your mic jack as a microphone, just to be able to hear things?

Nowdays, we all have smart phones with video and audio capabilities, so bands can listen back to their jams and practices that day and work to improve. Stunning.

Archived