OPINIONS ON ELECTRONIC DRUM MODULES WANTED!!

UNCLEDAVE81

• Members

I have a ROLAND TD-8 electronic drum module w/PD-9 dual trigger pads,etc, and I also have a YAMAHA DTX V.2 w/DS11 kit. I would like to know your opinions of which is the better, and please explain why. I'm a guitarist not a drummer, so am not as keen as you players out there on it's individual capabilities. I plan on using this mostly for recording/composing, and practice as well. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Thanks!

------------------

Thank you all!

Unc' Dave

• Members

Well to be honest I don't have any experience with the Yamaha module so I couldn't say anything about the sound qualitity, but I do think the TD-8 is a more advanced module. You can edit the sounds more to your needs, and you can also upgrade the pads with mesh headed pads and/or v-cymbals for better playing feel. (Off course you can use those newer Roland pads with the Yamaha module too, but in most cases you get the best results when you use pads and brains from the same manufacterer.)

As you own both kits, which one do you like most?

If you have any pics of them, I'll be happy to have them on my electronic drums picture site (see url below).

------------------

My Personal homepage - MPCman's E-drum Picsite! currently with 12 profiles

• Members

MPC,

Thanks. I've just gotten a digital camera. Will try to do that soon. I may stick w/the Roland TD-8 since I believe it's a bit more current w/ the addeed virtual drum capabilities on a couple of the inputs. I think it has a couple more tracks of sequencing as well. I played a TD-5, and I swore that thing triggered best of all! Seemed quicker, but then I'm not a drummer and used it only moderately. The TD-5 was very basic, and easy to use for straight forward e-drums. Thanks again! Other opinions welcome.

------------------

Thank you all!

Unc' Dave

• Members

From personal experience:

Yamaha pads wear out quicker, but feel better than the rolands.

Yamaha DTX.2 is decent, (I have one) but I like the roland TD modules much better. Better sounds and playability.

Yamaha DTXpress is decent for the money (I have one too) and I also like the sounds on it slightly better than the sounds on the DTX.2. The Roland TD's still beat it.

For the best value, I'd check a DTXpress, TD-8, or TD-6. (TD-6 has good sounds, but it doesnt have dual-trigger capability on the toms and snare. only on the cymbals. The DTXpress is completely dual-trigger capable, as well as the DTX.2)

JP

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I have a near new Yamaha DT Xpress drum kit & sound module in excellent working order - like new! I've used this kit for no more than 8 - 10 hours in total.

This kit is like brand new!

Purchased less than 10 months ago and has been recently packed away some 4-5 weeks back.

I'm selling as i have a new guitar amp on order and have moved more towards guitar over this past few months.

Asking Price $650USD + freight (approx $50USD) includes registration & insurance for a value of up to $800.00 dollars.

Contact me via bjscss@yahoo.com for more information and photo's of the complet unit.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

(TD-6 has good sounds, but it doesnt have dual-trigger capability on the toms and snare. only on the cymbals. The DTXpress is completely dual-trigger capable, as well as the DTX.2)

Actually, the TD-6 does have dual trigger capabilities. You just have to buy dual trigger pads with stereo cables.

Archived