Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

kick question from a relatively new drummer...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Actionsquid:
    What does matter is that you let the beater rebound, and that at all costs you avoid tension in your leg, ankle, or foot.

thanks, Actionsquid! i'm assuming that the beater doesn't really rebound if i'm playing "heel-up", am i right?

Comment

Originally posted by animaltown:
      for some reason when i try to let the beater bounce back it doesn't bounce back evenly, if that makes any sense. should i be rocking my foot back on my heel immediately after i kick?

I went down to my kit and sat there for a few minutres examining how I play the pedal. Playing heel-down, I make the stroke, and my foot floats on the pedal. I noticed that the pedal does not return the position that it's in when my foot is on it, so there's always a little pressure going on the pedal. my foot dosent change posistion on the pedal, only sliding forward a little after multiple strokes, there isnt much i can do to stop this, short of putting a traction grip on the pedal. The beater bounces off of the head, and the foot moves with the natural rocking motion of the pedal (it's on a spring, after all!) I've learned to control the pedal, and never have to think about making strokes, and can execute a steady stream of notes this way.

I WOULD STRESS LEARNING BOTH HEEL UP AND DOWN TECHNIQUES. I use both. for some rhythms (like a 16th note before a quarter "ba-bump" etc) I use heel up for the first note, and heel down for the second. This is related to heel-toe, rocking motion, whatever people like to call it. sometimes, i'll play upbeat 8th notes with the heel up. It is generally accepted that heel up will give you more volume, heel down will let you play more sensitively.

------------------
      "It's having fun that you grow! oh!" - Tony Williams
      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;It's having fun that you grow! oh!&quot; - Tony Williams</div>

Comment

thanks, shh, for the super-informative post, i really appreciate it. i think i understand what you are getting at and i have noticed that heel-up does give me more power and volume.

is it general consensus that "burying the beater" when playing heel-down is a bad idea? i quite like the sound and the feel i get from doing it this way...

tony williams is my favorite drummer by the way!

Comment

If you are having muscle problems in your legs and feet make shure your sitting corectly..Your thighs should be level or close to level with the ground..Make it a point to sit up straight too..Good habbits in the begining help in the long run.

http://www.mp3.com/robrussell

Lucky

Comment

Originally posted by animaltown:
            is it general consensus that "burying the beater" when playing heel-down is a bad idea? i quite like the sound and the feel i get from doing it this way...

It's a general consensus that it's bad to "bury" it either heel up or heel down.

The problem is that when you do this, you are preventing the kick drum head from resonating and also losing the rebound. So, you get a flatter, harsher sound and less smooth action from the pedal. You can get away with burying it for a lot of stuff, especially rock/punk, but for cases where you need more finesse, it's a disaster.

Comment

hello drummers, i'm back with more kick questions!

so i've been working on my "heel down" technique and trying to get the beater to bounce back naturally but there's one thing i'm still not totally clear on. should the ball of my foot (and toes) leave the pedal when the beater is coming back or should my whole foot stay on the pedal? maybe a better way to phrase it would be should my foot come up faster than the pedal springs back or should i let the pedal push it back up?

know what i mean?

Comment

Working...
              X