Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dreamrealm
    started a topic painting drums

painting drums

Is there anyone who has painted drums... I have such an old pearl world series set and it's red... and i'm very bored about this color... So i think i'm gonna paint my kit.. What is kind of paint i have to use? Can i use car paint's? I think it have to be spray...?!? any opinions.. thanks...

• 1001gear
    replied
    This is weird. There's like colored speckles on everything.

Leave a comment:

• johnrobbsmusic
    replied
    haha, I didn't look at the date until I got to the posts today :P I was trying to figure out who these people were lol

Leave a comment:

• marko46
    replied
    ****************ed up my space/time continuum. Found myself looking for an old roach clip.................................

Leave a comment:

• utdrummer
    replied
    Man, we gotta start looking at post dates!

Leave a comment:

• Bitter Dawn
    replied
    No kiddin' this **************** is like 8 and a bit years old.

Leave a comment:

• race81
    replied
    Holy Thread revival Batman.....................

Leave a comment:

• FitchFY
    replied
    Zombie thread!!!!

Leave a comment:

• zildjian@consol
    replied
    Painting is not that hard.......also this is a 2002 thread

Leave a comment:

• Wrawl
    replied
    Thanks for advice guys.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin_B
    replied
    Originally posted by Wrawl
    I've got a Tama Rockstar. Is it possible to take off the wrap and paint the bare shells? Would this be bad and make the drums sound different?

There's a good reason why Rockstars are wrapped. Their outer plies are basswood which is not known for its visual appeal. It won't look as good as mahoghany or birch or maple or other woods often refinished on drums.

And second, putting a finish on a drum is not as simple as painting a fence. It's actually a process that needs to be practiced in order to get it to look professional. If you're really that dissatisfied with the look of your set, I'd suggest....
    1) look into getting a new wrap
    2) look into those covers (made of spandex or something like that) that are inexpensive and easy to change the look of a drum
    3) buy a new drumset

Of course buying a new drumset is kinda a radical step, but I guess looks are really important to some drummers.

Leave a comment:

• stapes2260
    replied
    just go to www.drummaker.com/talk like was stated before, they know absolutely everything you could ever want ot know about DIY drums

Leave a comment:

• merc
    replied
    be careful removing the old wrap finish-if the grain of the wood runs vertically or it is cheap then you might end up with chunks and splinters of wood coming off with the wrap. If this happens, use some good quality wood filler then sand and paint. I painted a guitar with touch up auto laquer, used 2 cans to cever the whole thing and then laquered it in nitrocelluloce. You might want to use a thin coating of Poly for drums as it is cheaper and it also lasts a long time. Thinner is better when it comes to paint and laquer- get just enough on there and sand between coats of paint. Take your time-it will probably take at least a week to do the job properly so if you can't live without your set for that long try and borrow one to play on!

Leave a comment:

• Nagi
    replied
    Originally posted by Wrawl
    I've got a Tama Rockstar. Is it possible to take off the wrap and paint the bare shells? Would this be bad and make the drums sound different?

If Tama glues the entire covering onto there shell's be prepared to do a lot of sanding to get the old glue residue off.
    But yes you can do it, and your drum's will resonate better and probably have a better sound to them

Leave a comment:

• wally_groove
    replied
    On second thought-

Spray paint them....don't worry about taking off the rims or skins...just spray it all....it'll look great.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X