painting drums

dreamrealm

• Members

Is there anyone who has painted drums... I have such an old pearl world series set and it's red... and i'm very bored about this color... So i think i'm gonna paint my kit.. What is kind of paint i have to use? Can i use car paint's? I think it have to be spray...?!? any opinions.. thanks... :D

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hi dreamrealm,

Great to know that someone has a Pearl World series. I saw one advertised in my local paper (Australia) and tried to find some info about it from Pearl website but Pearl doesn't have anything about it at all. Would you kindly give me some spec about it please.

Many thanks,

:)

• Members

Originally posted by harrypotter

Hi dreamrealm,

Great to know that someone has a Pearl World series. I saw one advertised in my local paper (Australia) and tried to find some info about it from Pearl website but Pearl doesn't have anything about it at all. Would you kindly give me some spec about it please.

Many thanks,

:)

:D Pearl World Series... My set is with maple/mahogany/maple shells... But somebody told me there's birch shell world series too... But it's pretty easy to take look to your shell and say is that pure birch or maple/mahogany/maple shell... World series have builded 1980-1990 that's what i have heard about those... No less no more...

• Members

Yes, use car paint. It is acrylic laquer, so it will go over your old finish well. You can even use clear coat spray to give it extra deep shine. Either that or do what I did with wrapping. Read my easy refinishing thread. I cant write that all again.

• Members

I painted my old Tama rockstar (yellow) 4 years ago. I used an acrylic paint but a pro guitar tech told me you need nitro paints for instruments such guitars an drums (quite expensive paint). I'd suggest to ask some suggestion to an expert, because with my Tama I made a mess (paint drops everywhere). Now I love its colour but technically speaking is not a masterpiece.

• Members

Originally posted by Wrawl

I've got a Tama Rockstar. Is it possible to take off the wrap and paint the bare shells? Would this be bad and make the drums sound different?
:confused:

If Tama glues the entire covering onto there shell's be prepared to do a lot of sanding to get the old glue residue off.

But yes you can do it, and your drum's will resonate better and probably have a better sound to them

• Members

be careful removing the old wrap finish-if the grain of the wood runs vertically or it is cheap then you might end up with chunks and splinters of wood coming off with the wrap. If this happens, use some good quality wood filler then sand and paint. I painted a guitar with touch up auto laquer, used 2 cans to cever the whole thing and then laquered it in nitrocelluloce. You might want to use a thin coating of Poly for drums as it is cheaper and it also lasts a long time. Thinner is better when it comes to paint and laquer- get just enough on there and sand between coats of paint. Take your time-it will probably take at least a week to do the job properly so if you can't live without your set for that long try and borrow one to play on!

• Members

Originally posted by Wrawl

I've got a Tama Rockstar. Is it possible to take off the wrap and paint the bare shells? Would this be bad and make the drums sound different?
:confused:

There's a good reason why Rockstars are wrapped. Their outer plies are basswood which is not known for its visual appeal. It won't look as good as mahoghany or birch or maple or other woods often refinished on drums.

And second, putting a finish on a drum is not as simple as painting a fence. It's actually a process that needs to be practiced in order to get it to look professional. If you're really that dissatisfied with the look of your set, I'd suggest....

1) look into getting a new wrap

2) look into those covers (made of spandex or something like that) that are inexpensive and easy to change the look of a drum

3) buy a new drumset

Of course buying a new drumset is kinda a radical step, but I guess looks are really important to some drummers.

• 8 years later...

Archived