Dale Crover

TimmyII

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dale Crover is the greatest drummer alive! Dale was the reason i got behind a drum kit over 8 years ago. He is truly the most amazing drummer I've ever seen.

btw...Melvins are about the launch a huge US tour and i highly recommend all drummers to go checkout Dale Crover do his thing.

Go Melvins

crushr24

• Members

wouldnt suprise me.

i also heard he uses huge sticks or mallets

hes got a ribbon crasher i think i can hear extensively on stonerwitch/stag

i'll find out in 2 weeks though!

anybody got any songs tabbed out of the melvins!

or any good drum tab sites

• Members

He's a funny guy.

We have him on Videotape talking about what it's like being gay.

It's totally funny....He's going "Lynyrd Skynyrd? Just like me, they were Gay! It takes a real man to take it up the ass!"

It's hilarious, because he's speaking with a "Suthurn" Drawl.

He uses an 18"x24" Kick, 16"x16" and 18"x18" Toms. Also he had two of the Engelhart crashers that were about 22" wide. The Cymbals were basically big thin Rides.

Tim

• Members

When they played here last time, he didn't have the 24" Floor...so that article must have been after that. They played a "club" (if you can even call it that) that is literally no bigger than my living room....it's a litle place, and it was so freaking hot it wasn't funny.

And he was back there pounding away like a madman.

The Guy really is a killer drummer....I wish I could get into their music, but I just don't....It's like Jazz in the sense that I can't relate to it.

I do like the Kiss cover songs though.

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by Fafnir777:

When they played here last time, he didn't have the 24" Floor...so that article must have been after that. They played a "club" (if you can even call it that) that is literally no bigger than my living room....it's a litle place, and it was so freaking hot it wasn't funny.

And he was back there pounding away like a madman.

The Guy really is a killer drummer....I wish I could get into their music, but I just don't....It's like Jazz in the sense that I can't relate to it.

I do like the Kiss cover songs though.

Tim

I've seen them 3 times, and I can't remember ever seeing a floor tom that big either. I wasn't even aware that a 26" ride existed. They're coming on tour again, so make sure to catch them again, if just for Dale.

------------------

"Yes I'm a new world samurai, but a redneck nonetheless..."

• Members

i believe the guy who wrote that article made a mistake. Dale's live Tama Artstar kit is 26" kick, 16X16 tom tom, 20" floor tom and that 22" gong bass drum. I spoke with Dale two years ago and he is now endorsed to Paiste. He said Zildjian quit sending him cymbals because he breaks 2 or 3 per tour. Dale's ride is a 24" 2002, 15" hit-hat, and his crash is either 20" or 22"....plus a huge china, ice bell, 2 ribbon crashers, cow bell, a medium size crash set cymbal and of course a gong.

btw...Foo Fighters song "My Hero" is about Dale Crover. Dave Grohl, like many others, is inspired by Dale and used to talkup Dale and the Melvins in articles back during the Nirvana hey dayz. Plus the drum beat on "My Hero" is very similar the drums on the song "Night Goat" by the Melvins.

Go Melvins!

crushr24

• Members

Originally posted by crushr24:

i believe the guy who wrote that article made a mistake. Dale's live Tama Artstar kit is 26" kick, 16X16 tom tom, 20" floor tom and that 22" gong bass drum. I spoke with Dale two years ago and he is now endorsed to Paiste. He said Zildjian quit sending him cymbals because he breaks 2 or 3 per tour. Dale's ride is a 24" 2002, 15" hit-hat, and his crash is either 20" or 22"....plus a huge china, ice bell, 2 ribbon crashers, cow bell, a medium size crash set cymbal and of course a gong.

btw...Foo Fighters song "My Hero" is about Dale Crover. Dave Grohl, like many others, is inspired by Dale and used to talkup Dale and the Melvins in articles back during the Nirvana hey dayz. Plus the drum beat on "My Hero" is very similar the drums on the song "Night Goat" by the Melvins.

Go Melvins!

crushr24

where did you hear about the my hero thing? ive heard dave say in an interview that it is just about an average guy whos really solid and reliable or something like that, because when he was a kid thats who he looked up to, not sports or rock stars

• Members

Originally posted by guitar420:

where did you hear about the my hero thing? ive heard dave say in an interview that it is just about an average guy whos really solid and reliable or something like that, because when he was a kid thats who he looked up to, not sports or rock stars

------------------------------------------------------

i heard it from no one. it's something i figured out on my own. ok, i guess it an opinion. but i'm a huge Nirvana fan and big admirer of Grohl's drumming. go back and read old Nirvana interviews. Dave has said many times that Dale Crover inspired him like none other. That Dale Crover made Dave look at music/drumming in a different light. Dale Crover inspired Dave bigtime. plus the drumming on My Hero is very, very similar to the Melvins tune Night Goat. i don't think it's a rip off...just a tribute. Dale doesn't act like a big rock star and if you ever talk with him he is very ordinary...except he's the best {censored}ing drummer ever! dale is very friendly and approachable. i doubt if Dave will ever admit the song is about Dale....especially since the Melvins camp dogged Grohl for making mainstream music. something about how Dave was financial secure after Nirvana and could have easily taken some risks and created something way more challenging that Top 40 pop songs.

that's my story and i'm sticking with it.

Go see Dale and the Melvins on tour now!

Dale Grohl is going on tour as the drummer for Queens of the Stone Age! i can't wait!

two drummers worth seeing. don't miss it....yo!

crushr24

• Members

Originally posted by trephine:

yea im a big grohl fan too

do you know how either grohl or crover play (heel up/down)?

ok, i just dug out some old and new videos i have of Nirvana and Melvins. Grohl and Crover both play heel up.

crushr24

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I saw the Melvins on Tuesday night. Dale was in UNBELIEVABLE form and their new material "Hostile Ambient Takeover" comes off very well live. They've mixed in quite a few up-tempo rockers into their set. In fact out of the 3 times I've seen the Melvins, this was by far their best performance. That 26" kick is rigoddamndiculous! He also had what looked like a home-made cymbal....A china with a smaller crash cymbal resting on top of it. Sounded very fast and trashy.

Archived