Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The man, the legend...

------------------
    "Yes I'm a new world samurai, but a redneck nonetheless..."
    <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Yes I'm a new world samurai, and a redneck nonetheless...&quot;<br />
    <br />
    &quot;dudes... am i the only one here that would rather have sex with joe walsh than britney spears? &quot; - jonnykilledAtele <br />
    </div>

Comment

------------------
      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Yes I'm a new world samurai, and a redneck nonetheless...&quot;<br />
      <br />
      &quot;dudes... am i the only one here that would rather have sex with joe walsh than britney spears? &quot; - jonnykilledAtele <br />
      </div>

Comment

Originally posted by crushr24:
        i believe the guy who wrote that article made a mistake. Dale's live Tama Artstar kit is 26" kick, 16X16 tom tom, 20" floor tom and that 22" gong bass drum. I spoke with Dale two years ago and he is now endorsed to Paiste. He said Zildjian quit sending him cymbals because he breaks 2 or 3 per tour. Dale's ride is a 24" 2002, 15" hit-hat, and his crash is either 20" or 22"....plus a huge china, ice bell, 2 ribbon crashers, cow bell, a medium size crash set cymbal and of course a gong.

btw...Foo Fighters song "My Hero" is about Dale Crover. Dave Grohl, like many others, is inspired by Dale and used to talkup Dale and the Melvins in articles back during the Nirvana hey dayz. Plus the drum beat on "My Hero" is very similar the drums on the song "Night Goat" by the Melvins.

Go Melvins!

crushr24

where did you hear about the my hero thing? ive heard dave say in an interview that it is just about an average guy whos really solid and reliable or something like that, because when he was a kid thats who he looked up to, not sports or rock stars
        <div class="signaturecontainer">ludwig 70s black panther 5 piece<br />
        pearl export 5 piece<br />
        gibson RD <br />
        gibson les paul studio<br />
        gibson explorer<br />
        marshall jcm 800 2010<br />
        hagstrom viking<br />
        fender mexi tele w/ hot rail<br />
        epiphone les paul custom w/emg 81<br />
        zoom mrs 1044<br />
        line 6 pod<br />
        ............i could go for a les paul or sg custom</div>

Comment

Dale Crover is so cool that he used to play in an "Iron Maiden" cover band before starting the Melvins.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot....&quot; ~ Thomas Jefferson <br />
          </div>

Comment

Originally posted by warpedpig:
            Dale Crover is so cool that he used to play in an "Iron Maiden" cover band before starting the Melvins.

In all his glory...

------------------
            <br />
            </div>

Comment

Originally posted by guitar420:
              where did you hear about the my hero thing? ive heard dave say in an interview that it is just about an average guy whos really solid and reliable or something like that, because when he was a kid thats who he looked up to, not sports or rock stars

------------------------------------------------------

i heard it from no one. it's something i figured out on my own. ok, i guess it an opinion. but i'm a huge Nirvana fan and big admirer of Grohl's drumming. go back and read old Nirvana interviews. Dave has said many times that Dale Crover inspired him like none other. That Dale Crover made Dave look at music/drumming in a different light. Dale Crover inspired Dave bigtime. plus the drumming on My Hero is very, very similar to the Melvins tune Night Goat. i don't think it's a rip off...just a tribute. Dale doesn't act like a big rock star and if you ever talk with him he is very ordinary...except he's the best ****************ing drummer ever! dale is very friendly and approachable. i doubt if Dave will ever admit the song is about Dale....especially since the Melvins camp dogged Grohl for making mainstream music. something about how Dave was financial secure after Nirvana and could have easily taken some risks and created something way more challenging that Top 40 pop songs.

that's my story and i'm sticking with it.

Go see Dale and the Melvins on tour now!

Dale Grohl is going on tour as the drummer for Queens of the Stone Age! i can't wait!

two drummers worth seeing. don't miss it....yo!

crushr24

Comment

yea im a big grohl fan too
                do you know how either grohl or crover play (heel up/down)?

Comment

Originally posted by trephine:
                  yea im a big grohl fan too
                  do you know how either grohl or crover play (heel up/down)?

ok, i just dug out some old and new videos i have of Nirvana and Melvins. Grohl and Crover both play heel up.

crushr24

Comment

cheers crushr24
                    thanks for that, its something thats been on my mind

Comment

I saw the Melvins on Tuesday night. Dale was in UNBELIEVABLE form and their new material "Hostile Ambient Takeover" comes off very well live. They've mixed in quite a few up-tempo rockers into their set. In fact out of the 3 times I've seen the Melvins, this was by far their best performance. That 26" kick is rigoddamndiculous! He also had what looked like a home-made cymbal....A china with a smaller crash cymbal resting on top of it. Sounded very fast and trashy.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot....&quot; ~ Thomas Jefferson <br />
                      </div>

Comment

warpedig,

you saw them tuesday night in austin? i was at that show, too!

STELLAR show. first time i've seen them and i'm never missing them again!

i think the cymbal you're talking about (if facing him, the cymbal on the left over the gong bass drum) MIGHT be the Paiste trash-set (I think that's what it's called).. a cymbal w/ a smaller cymbal on top.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">-<br />
                        s.g.<br />
                        -<br />
                        &quot;To study music we must learn the rules. To create music, we must break them.&quot; - Nadia Boulanger</div>

Comment

You know what....It was Wednesday in Houston, not Tuesday..Doh! I've been getting too wasted lately...
                          </div>

Comment

I just got back from seeing the Melvins in New Orleans, Tallahassee, and Orlando. AWESOME SHOW. Anyone know what that cover they played for the first encore was?

Finally got pics with the band. Great guys.
                            <br />
                            </div>

Comment

Originally posted by downinthethird
                              I just got back from seeing the Melvins in New Orleans, Tallahassee, and Orlando. AWESOME SHOW. Anyone know what that cover they played for the first encore was?

Finally got pics with the band. Great guys.

"Youth Of America" by The Wipers. Melvins recorded that song for the Electroretard CD.

crushr24

Comment

Originally posted by crushr24

"Youth Of America" by The Wipers. Melvins recorded that song for the Electroretard CD.

crushr24

Duh. I can't believe I couldn't place it. Thanks.
                                <br />
                                </div>

Comment

Working...
                                X