Okay guys, what kind of snare (material) do you think this is?

downinthethird

• Members

It's my friend's band, and he can't remember if he used a steel snare or brass snare. What do you guys think? Feel free to add suggestions to what you think could nail this sound as well.

http://play.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play.cgi/AAIBQk1YEwDABG5vcm1QGAAAAFJNWBMAUQEAAABDcsuwPOFIxbmb09Fgncff35j_y8Q-/Dove__What_Is_Best_In_.m3u

------------------

"Yes I'm a new world samurai, but a redneck nonetheless..."

[This message has been edited by downinthethird (edited April 22, 2002).]

• Members

Originally posted by gcdrummer:

Kind of sounds like brass to me.

Listen to this...

That sounded good, was that brass? The snare on the clip I posted just seemed to come across as "bigger", maybe fuller is a better word.

------------------

• Members

Who knows. If it's gated at all, it's going to end any chance of you being able to tell what it is, because the gate is going to alter the sound. It reminds me of a piccolo snare tuned low with a Midiverb II reverb on it... I had a friend who kept doing this, and he was getting a similar type of sound to that.

Their "Singer" can't sing (he sounds kind of constipated :D), and the drummer could use a little work on his snare work....there's a snare roll from 2:30 to 2:33 and repeated again from 3:25-3:28, and it's simply not very smooth sounding...it sounds "forced"...the public probably wouldn't notice it, but other drummers will. :D

The Recording quality is decent I guess.

I'm probably not the one to ask for questions about this, because I don't particularly like this type of music, buit I'll give an opinion anyway! :D

It makes me think of 7Mary3, or whatever that band was called, even though it doesn't sound like them at all... I just find this kind of "droning" type of material boring and generic....there's no hook, nothing that really grabs you and says "Listeb to me!" Potheads might like it...it could fit into that scene maybe, you know bands like The Melvins, some of the Kyuss (my brother knows their bassplayer and singer) material.

Just a little too slow for me....it's heavy, but not heavy enough to be metal-it's gloomy but not Gloomy enough to be Doom Metal...do you see what I'm saying? It sounds like those bands that fall throguh the cracks.

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by Fafnir777:

Who knows. If it's gated at all, it's going to end any chance of you being able to tell what it is, because the gate is going to alter the sound. It reminds me of a piccolo snare tuned low with a Midiverb II reverb on it... I had a friend who kept doing this, and he was getting a similar type of sound to that.

Their "Singer" can't sing (he sounds kind of constipated
:D
), and the drummer could use a little work on his snare work....there's a snare roll from 2:30 to 2:33 and repeated again from 3:25-3:28, and it's simply not very smooth sounding...it sounds "forced"...the public probably wouldn't notice it, but other drummers will.
The Recording quality is decent I guess.

I'm probably not the one to ask for questions about this, because I don't particularly like this type of music, buit I'll give an opinion anyway!
It makes me think of
7Mary3
, or whatever that band was called, even though it doesn't sound like them at all... I just find this kind of "droning" type of material boring and generic....there's no hook, nothing that really grabs you and says "Listeb to me!" Potheads might like it...it could fit into that scene maybe, you know bands like The Melvins, some of the Kyuss (my brother knows their bassplayer and singer) material.

Just a little too slow for me....it's heavy, but not heavy enough to be metal-it's gloomy but not Gloomy enough to be Doom Metal...do you see what I'm saying? It sounds like those bands that fall throguh the cracks.

Tim

Hey man, that's great. Best critique I've ever read. I'm going to make sure to pass it on to my friends. :D

Funny you mention the Melvins, that's their biggest influence. They consider themselves "Doom". They're beginning to get noticed, but the problem is, their isn't that large of an audience to "notice" them. Thanks for listening.

------------------

• Members

Originally posted by gcdrummer:

What you just heard is an 8x14 wood snare...

This is it...

Cannot load image http://maras.com/drums/images/8xs1.jpg"

You won't find one for the price of a Chad Smith snare tho. Maybe used on eBay or something.

It sounds nothing like an 8"x14" to me. I use an 8"x14" Brass snare, and it sounds like a Pistol being fired. That snare sounded "box-ey" and sounded like a shall drum tuned low.

What kind of heads were on it?

How thick is the shell?

I build drums, and all the parts for that drum are easily available at DSH. I personally never cared for the CB-700 Legend snare strainers.

I didn't like the way that they worked.

Tim

• Members

It sounds nothing like an 8"x14" to me. I use an 8"x14" Brass snare, and it sounds like a Pistol being fired.

Tim

Damn it man. I'd love to have a snare that sounds like that. Can you post some clips of that thing?

------------------

• Members

Originally posted by warpedpig:

Check this monster out! I bet this would suit your tastes.

Hey Tim, have you ever played one of these?

That is essentiallty what I have.

I have a Pearl Free floating 8"x14" Brass Snare that I bought in 1991 for $450.

It has a MAY Mic'ing system built into it, with a Beyer M422 Mic inside the drum, so I just plug it in.

It's killer sounding man.

Tim

• Members

It sounds nothing like an 8"x14" to me. I use an 8"x14" Brass snare, and it sounds like a Pistol being fired. That snare sounded "box-ey" and sounded like a shall drum tuned low.

What kind of heads were on it?

How thick is the shell?

I build drums, and all the parts for that drum are easily available at DSH. I personally never cared for the CB-700 Legend snare strainers.

I didn't like the way that they worked.

Tim

It's a 10 ply. I'm not looking for a gun shot snare sound. I prefer a pop to a crack. It's not tuned low, actually it's quite high. Remo Powerstroke 3 coated on top, 42 strand snare. You don't like that strainer? I love it, looks cool and very smooth. I don't care for the kind that don't flip out. Oh well, different strokes...

------------------

my band- god complex

current project- here i am, the rock drama

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Hi! Warpedpig

I beg to differ, The Pearl free-floating drum is NOT free-floating in the true sense. It is also not a new design. The original design was patented in 1987 by Cleland, again in 1989 by Bonsor, and once more in 1994 by Kurosaki, none of these drums claim to be, nor are truly free-floating

• Members

hey rudy

yeah same with the dw woofers, people think these are new creations but they have been done before.

I heard the way the free floater works actually inhibits more vibration than that of a lug screwed shell .

I'm prety sure those pearl and other guys hire writers or someone that knows how to write well to make their stuff sound like its a big deal and its supreme. yeah right

Archived