Tool - What am I missing?

vanlatte

• Members

Ok Tool fans, point me to the good tunes...

A friend let me borrow (I know I am going to slaughter these names) "Lateralus" & "Aenima"

I have heard the drummer is good, I tried listening to a few songs on these albums but they just dont do anything for me.

Doesnt help that I dont like the singers voice much...any chance at repemption here? I would hate to pass up the chance at hearing a good musician...

V.

• Members

I think you should listen to "ticks and leeches" which is track #8 on lateralus. for their new songs, I'd say it is a more versatile one than the rest. At first you've got a jungle-type tom part and then the precise double bass comes in. then, you've got a kind of shuffle jazzy sounding thing. Tool is my favorite band and danny carey is my idol. Some people like them and some people don't. If they're not your cup of tea, you can't force yourself to like them. Try this; go back, listen to the whole lateralus cd all the way through with an open mind, listen to the lyrics, and just try to take it in and relax. Their music is a spiritual experience for me in a sense. If you listen all the way from track #1 to #13 you will notice that there is never just a gap where 2 songs don't mix;It's almost as if the whole album is a story. I think their new album is all about being open in every aspect of your life, especially spiritually. just listen to it with an open mind and feel it, not just hear it.

• Members

Originally posted by vanlatte:

Ok Tool fans, point me to the good tunes...

A friend let me borrow (I know I am going to slaughter these names) "Lateralus" & "Aenima"

I have heard the drummer is good, I tried listening to a few songs on these albums but they just dont do anything for me.

Doesnt help that I dont like the singers voice much...any chance at repemption here? I would hate to pass up the chance at hearing a good musician...

V.

You were never a TOOL fan were you?

------------------

Later

~Nick

• Members

Listen to both albums all the way through. You'll be amazed. AENIMA and Lateralus are great albums.

If you're looking for songs in particular, check out:

Eulogy, H, 46 & 2, Hooker with a Penis, Third Eye

The Grudge, Parabol, Parabola, Lateralis

• Members

I used to be a huge Tool fan (wow, you could really mis-interperet that :) )

I dont listen as much now...however...

When I listen to Lateralus, I listen to "The Grudge" then I stop the CD, then I say "damn!"

They get a thumbs up from me.

------------------

"It's having fun that you grow! oh!" - Tony Williams

• Members

what it does is give whiny wanna be outcasts a little exclusive club to belong to. then they can sit around arguing about what maynard is 'really singing about'. then they can talk about all the cool creepy dark imagry, and the deep spirutal element to tools music.

• Members

Originally posted by drummerjoe:

what it does is give whiny wanna be outcasts a little exclusive club to belong to. then they can sit around arguing about what maynard is 'really singing about'. then they can talk about all the cool creepy dark imagry, and the deep spirutal element to tools music.

well, tool does has a bit of depth - at least they're not doing it about limp bizkit or metallica. you want to talk about foolishness?

------------------

-

s.g.

-

"To study music we must learn the rules. To create music, we must break them." - Nadia Boulanger

• Members

I heard Lateralus ... I tried to listen to it, but it didn't sound like anything particularly new or exciting, especially after hearing all of the hype about it.

Their drummer is very good, but what is he doing that hasn't been done before?

• Members

Originally posted by agogobill:

I heard Lateralus ... I tried to listen to it, but it didn't sound like anything particularly new or exciting, especially after hearing all of the hype about it.

Their drummer is very good, but what is he doing that hasn't been done before?

Oh give me a break. Name ONE album with a similar drum sound and playing. Listen to the way he uses the toms, the odd rhythms of the music. Totally original sound if you ask me.

• Members

Originally posted by drummerjoe:

Yeah, you know the world is just full of people who actively desire to be social outcasts. Why don't you just shut up and let people enjoy their music without criticizing their lifestyle. If you want to say something about the music from an aesthetic angle, by all means. Don't just take a cheap shot at the fans though.

• Members

this is in reply to drummerjoe. I could make fun of the fan base of all the bands you named, but I feel I'm more open minded than that. Why don't you try litening to tool; maybe you will be more open minded.

• Members

Originally posted by Destructobot:

Oh give me a break. Name ONE album with a similar drum sound and playing. Listen to the way he uses the toms, the odd rhythms of the music. Totally original sound if you ask me.

Narada Michael Walden with Mahavishnu - Visions of the Emerald Beyond, Apocalypse.

Billy Cobham with Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity

Lenny White with Return To Forever - various

Dave Weckl with Chick Corea.

Curt Cress with Passport.

Brian Davison with Refugee

Various time signatures used, drummers are using the whole kit.

The point I really wanted to make was that it(Lateralus) really didn't live up to all of the hype that I'd heard about it. No question about Mr. Carey's abilities ... he's very good.

There's your break, if you ask me.

[This message has been edited by agogobill (edited May 11, 2002).]

• Members

The best thing about them (imho) is their excellent videos.

I like a lot of thrash, hard rock, and metal...But their music just leaves me cold, sorry.

------------------

_ _ ______ _ _

Groovy :0)

Archived