Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tool - What am I missing?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard Lateralus ... I tried to listen to it, but it didn't sound like anything particularly new or exciting, especially after hearing all of the hype about it.

Their drummer is very good, but what is he doing that hasn't been done before?
    I used to have a handle on life, but I gotta jiggle it every now and then.

Comment

I found Lateralus to be boring. My favorite Tool album is "Undertow."
      "In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot...." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

well I wasnt vouching for the depth of meanin in limp bizkit songs... me? in my changer now is Foo Fighters, Thursday, Rusted Root, 311....
        Hi,

Please clean up your language when posting in our forums if you want to
        participate. We can tolerate some profanity, but some of your recent
        posts are too much.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by agogobill:
          I heard Lateralus ... I tried to listen to it, but it didn't sound like anything particularly new or exciting, especially after hearing all of the hype about it.

Their drummer is very good, but what is he doing that hasn't been done before?

Oh give me a break. Name ONE album with a similar drum sound and playing. Listen to the way he uses the toms, the odd rhythms of the music. Totally original sound if you ask me.
          Mosrite Ventures '67
          Dearmond M-77t
          Squier MIJ tele '86

SF Vibrolux
          Ampeg gemini II
          Ampeg V2
          Traynor YBA-1 '69
          Traynor YGM-3 '69
          Ampeg V4 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by drummerjoe:
            what it does is give whiny wanna be outcasts a little exclusive club to belong to. then they can sit around arguing about what maynard is 'really singing about'. then they can talk about all the cool creepy dark imagry, and the deep spirutal element to tools music.

Yeah, you know the world is just full of people who actively desire to be social outcasts. Why don't you just shut up and let people enjoy their music without criticizing their lifestyle. If you want to say something about the music from an aesthetic angle, by all means. Don't just take a cheap shot at the fans though.
            Mosrite Ventures '67
            Dearmond M-77t
            Squier MIJ tele '86

SF Vibrolux
            Ampeg gemini II
            Ampeg V2
            Traynor YBA-1 '69
            Traynor YGM-3 '69
            Ampeg V4 4x12

Comment

this is in reply to drummerjoe. I could make fun of the fan base of all the bands you named, but I feel I'm more open minded than that. Why don't you try litening to tool; maybe you will be more open minded.
              you ever had your **************************** licked by a fat guy in an over-coat?

Comment

Originally posted by Destructobot:
                Oh give me a break. Name ONE album with a similar drum sound and playing. Listen to the way he uses the toms, the odd rhythms of the music. Totally original sound if you ask me.

Narada Michael Walden with Mahavishnu - Visions of the Emerald Beyond, Apocalypse.
                Billy Cobham with Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity
                Lenny White with Return To Forever - various
                Dave Weckl with Chick Corea.
                Curt Cress with Passport.
                Brian Davison with Refugee

Various time signatures used, drummers are using the whole kit.

The point I really wanted to make was that it(Lateralus) really didn't live up to all of the hype that I'd heard about it. No question about Mr. Carey's abilities ... he's very good.

There's your break, if you ask me.

[This message has been edited by agogobill (edited May 11, 2002).]
                I used to have a handle on life, but I gotta jiggle it every now and then.

Comment

I second Undertow as their best work.

Comment

The best thing about them (imho) is their excellent videos.

I like a lot of thrash, hard rock, and metal...But their music just leaves me cold, sorry.

------------------
                    _ _ ______ _ _
                    Groovy )
                    _ _ ______ _ _
                    Groovy )

Comment

Listen to all the songs, but skip over all of the "filler" crap in between...that breaks down to like every other song. This mainly applies to their last 2 albums /

Comment

Originally posted by Sentient Hairpiece:
                        Listen to all the songs, but skip over all of the "filler" crap in between...that breaks down to like every other song. This mainly applies to their last 2 albums /

I like that "crap", it creates some contrast in the whole cd...

------------------
                        My Personal homepage - MPCman's E-drum Picsite! currently with 14 profiles
                        Music was my first love...

My Sonor-Paiste-ddrum4-and-more kit
                        http://pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=179292

Comment

Originally posted by agogobill:
                          Narada Michael Walden with Mahavishnu - Visions of the Emerald Beyond, Apocalypse.
                          Billy Cobham with Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity
                          Lenny White with Return To Forever - various
                          Dave Weckl with Chick Corea.
                          Curt Cress with Passport.
                          Brian Davison with Refugee

Various time signatures used, drummers are using the whole kit.

The point I really wanted to make was that it(Lateralus) really didn't live up to all of the hype that I'd heard about it. No question about Mr. Carey's abilities ... he's very good.

There's your break, if you ask me.

[This message has been edited by agogobill (edited May 11, 2002).]

Alright ya got me. I should have said "name one album in a relatively similar genre..." Of course there are other drummers that play as complex of rhythms as Carrey, but you have to admit his style is quite unique, especially in the hard rock/metal/whatever you want to call it category. And of course, nothing ever lives up to hype, if it did it wouldn't be hype.
                          Mosrite Ventures '67
                          Dearmond M-77t
                          Squier MIJ tele '86

SF Vibrolux
                          Ampeg gemini II
                          Ampeg V2
                          Traynor YBA-1 '69
                          Traynor YGM-3 '69
                          Ampeg V4 4x12

Comment

I can still kinda argue with that though. I think he may be the only drummer to use drums as tonal instruments. Like guitarist create riffs, he does the same for drums, its not just drumming with fills, every part has a distict "riff". The others, such as weckle and cobham play amazing parts, but they don't, IMO, write tonal drum parts, its still percusion. That is why I think mr. carey is amazing. Listen to .. errr, I can't remember,, either reflection or disposition for an example. Ticks and leaches is another example. The way he uses the high hat is also like a lost art. He does it all, and at the same time.

------------------
                            "I have Loud_Snoring.WAV as a default in the config.sys file of my Sleep.zzz file." -- Rippin' Robin
                            "powerbrake : 325 $
                            set of custom plugs : 150 $
                            audio prothese apparel : 5000 $
                            100 % accurate set of ears until the day you die : priceless." - Jazz Ad

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
                              I like that "crap", it creates some contrast in the whole cd...

I think your right to a point, but they take it a little far. In bores me when it goes on and on. Less "contrast" more RAWK! jk

[This message has been edited by Sentient Hairpiece (edited May 14, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Ruler2188:
                                I think he may be the only drummer to use drums as tonal instruments.

Ever listenend to Terry Bozzio? He is tonal drumming

------------------
                                My Personal homepage - MPCman's E-drum Picsite! currently with 14 profiles
                                Music was my first love...

My Sonor-Paiste-ddrum4-and-more kit
                                http://pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=179292

Comment

Working...
                                X