And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead . . .

Johnbobearl

• Members

Saw them on Craig Kilborn's late show one night. Kinda cool, but the ride cymbal their drummer used like completely DROWNED THE MIX! That MF'er cut!

Saw their video. Still kinda cool, even if they just sat around and did Jello shots. Same ride sound, but very nice and sweet, with big huge cut.

What the hell is that ride? I saw it was a Zildjian, but that's all I know about it. I love the sound of it though.

• Members

The post subject is their name. The band is called And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, which is sort of misleading because their sound reminds me of Oasis on acid. Not metal at all. Real Brit-poppy with a whole lot of grit and weirdness. It's pretty good stuff.

• Members

Yeah, you're right. There's a lot of bad emo floating around nowadays. However, there's some sort of indefineable quality about this band that makes me like them. I think I'll go buy their CD that the single is off of and take a listen.

• Members

This is aprobably a stupid question to ask but I have never really understood what emo is? I have heard so many definitions but never gotten one clear one. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

------------------

"Nothing Else Matters"

- James Hetfield

• Members

all that emo categorizing is BULL{censored}. i myself like bands like the Trail of Dead and At the Drive In, but i hate it when they just categorize everything into "emo". i mean, what the hell is "emo"? isn't all music supposed to be emotional? i just hate it when people just have the need to categorize everything. But don't even think that i'm defending the emo bands either. I myself HATE the typical "i just got dumped by my girlfriend" kinda emo bands like Saves the Day and The Get Up Kids (when i heard their song "mass pike" i was gonna puke). but i just hate it when bands like the Trail of Dead are clumped up with these whiny little upper-middle classed emotionally depraved kids. If u listen to their music, they are so much more than that junk.

sorry for the rant, but i hate it when everything is just clumped up as emo. Can't u guys just leave the categorizing and just judge bands by their music?

• Members

Emo for me doesn't really mean anything. I'm just lazy and call everthing that's too pop to be punk and too punk to be pop, and not complicated enough or angry enough to be grunge, and kinda in some way sounds like Weezer, emo. It's just an easy thing to call a band when people who have never heard them want to know what they are like. It's like that whole "new metal" Korn thing. Bands that rocked and/or rapped and in some way sounded like Korn got called "new metal", but it didn't actually explain a lot.

I saw Saves the Day with Weezer when they toured togeter a couple of months ago. You're right. They do suck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wo finally someone else who knows about these guys. I Love em, i saw them a few months ago on mtv2 (gasp!) and bought the album shortly later. I couldnt beleive i liked somehtign on mtv. I love the way there songs mix loud and soft, its sounds like...trippy punk. Not quite on the level of my all time fav band the smashing punpkins, but there gone... =(

~mike~

• Members

"Emo" has come to mean whiney 23 year olds with serious ego inflation to me- I'd love to see Conor Oberst and that Dashboard guy go head to head in a whine-off~ it'd be almost as trippy as watching Keanu Reeves do battle with Freddie Prinze Jr in an intense match of battleship (don't ask, I have strange dreams sometimes.)

...Trail of Dead is pretty rockin'. They're frantic and spastic, but they've got control of melody as well. Nothing terribly original, but I'd put them way above the average modern rock band. They write good songs and obviously possess brains that do more than maintain breathing and keep them from drooling too much. The "new" record (Source Tags and Codes) was one of my favorite pickups last year.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

trail of dead = who hooooo!

emo = excuse of music for teenagers to express their 'feelings' of how much math class sucks, or how much the girl from P.E. smells but still is really hott.....by listening to this type of repetitive, pathetic, "look at me, the girl I like likes another guy".

trail of dead = uuuuh...not emo

emo=sucks

• Members

Originally posted by agogobill

TOD was on Letterman not too long ago ...

inspiration for anyone who can't play a lick.

sucked ... big time.

Letterman told them "Stay in school, guys".

i find it amusing people judge bands or musicians by 3-5 minutes of music. Are all Rolling Stones songs great? All 149 of them? As you know, in corporate America, bands are forced to play the songs the Record Company likes. Even if so.......................I forgot what I was going to talk about. Toodles. :cool:

Archived