Collapse
No announcement yet.

christ, I suck at double bass

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll just make a list, put them in a hat, and pick one out.
    Why would I break more sticks when I'm starting? Is it because of poor technique? Like I said though the nearest guitar center is pretty far away. I'm not going there just to try out a pair of sticks, lol. I sound like lazy fool now so I'll probably just go with those sticks gc/mf sells in bulk packs of 10.

Comment

like stapes said, go try the 5A's. i'm using vic firth 5b's now and they're great, just the right weight and they don't break easily
      My Drums

Comment

Originally posted by guitarizt

They don't deserve to play drums! There should be a penalty for such a thing.

The penalty is---- All the drummer jokes aimed at them that the rest of us have to tolerate. It's a cruel world .

I'll send you some Promark 747's if you like. Free to guitar-playing drummers !

BTW, You really should take the trouble to go handle the sticks at a store. You don't have to jam on the practice pads there, but you'll want to find ones that feel comfortable in your hands. Sticks are very personal things to drummers even if thousands of people use the same ones.

Just fondle them and roll them on the counter to make sure they're straight, and rub up against some hi-hat cymbals, and make dreamy eyes at the chrome stand displays, and......

Comment

If I were king I would compensate their drumsets.

I think you mean "confiscate". They're already being compensated for.

Comment

"christ, I suck at double bass"

What are you complaining about? Christ, I suck at single bass...
            Modern Drunkard Magazine
            Slim Cessna's Auto Club

Listen to Pine Box
            Listen to Munly

"There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk" -Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by WorshipMetallica
              I already have my pedals pretty tight, I believe as tight as they can go, but I mainly play heel up now, I'm taking it that if I'm going to be doing fast double bass, I'm doing it heel down right? you said I should build up my heel down playing muscles.

Playing heel up allows you to get away with having weaker leg muscles. Because you are raising your foot, instead of keeping it down, the front of your leg doesn't get built up as well as the calf does.

To be able to really "fly" on the double bass, you need to be able to play fairly fast in the heels down position. Once you can get going fast in heels down, you'll be able to go fast in the heel up position.

No, the paradiddles aren't double strokes. Just single stroke them

LRLL RLRR
              (count 1&2& 3&4&)
              Just try to make each stroke evenly spaced for now. The whole key is to gain control of your feet, so that you can make them do what you want them to do....i.e., "so they respond when you command".

Like I said, it won't be instant, but the key is, if you are just sitting around (not even at the kit) you can practice heel down patterns on the floor.

Once you can play 8th. Note evenly, that's when it will start really becoming addictive!

Just keep practicing, you'll get it.

Think about it this way:

Tommy Lee is living proof that you don't need a brain to double kick! He's a Great double-kicker who is as dumb as a box of nails.
              (Not to offend any Tommy Lee fans out there, I thought he was great in the 80's, but after I saw an interview with him, I was instantly disappointed that he is an idiot!)

Tim

Comment

Fafnir has a good point about heel down. The whole "I don't get enough volume" thing is bunk. Once your muscles get strong enough, you'll get plenty volume heel down. It takes time, probably more time than heel up but it's worth it...for me so far. I'm a recent convert to heel down and I'll probably never go back to heel up.
                Modern Drunkard Magazine
                Slim Cessna's Auto Club

Listen to Pine Box
                Listen to Munly

"There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk" -Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by Kingnome

The penalty is---- All the drummer jokes aimed at them that the rest of us have to tolerate. It's a cruel world .

I'll send you some Promark 747's if you like. Free to guitar-playing drummers !

BTW, You really should take the trouble to go handle the sticks at a store. You don't have to jam on the practice pads there, but you'll want to find ones that feel comfortable in your hands. Sticks are very personal things to drummers even if thousands of people use the same ones.

Just fondle them and roll them on the counter to make sure they're straight, and rub up against some hi-hat cymbals, and make dreamy eyes at the chrome stand displays, and......

I like the ones the drummer in my band uses, lol. I'll just order the ones he had from mf's. I need some picks that I can't find at any local stores too (jazz IIIs).

Comment

I recommend the book "The Encyclopedia of Double Bass Drumming." It has a bunch of exercises in there, and many usable fills and riffs in there. I just got it and it's pretty good from the looks of it.

Also, since you're a Metallica fan I recommend the stuff off of the Black album. Most of the songs on there are at a good tempo if not slow, and if you know the songs well you should be able to play them fairly easily. Especially The Unforgiven, Sad But True, Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, and Of Wolf and Man. Some other Metallica stuff you can try out that's not blisteringly fast or hard: Until it Sleeps, The House that Jack Built, the first part of One, Harvester of Sorrow, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Master of Puppets.
                    http://www.paintballresource.org

Comment

Originally posted by Chabo
                      I recommend the book "The Encyclopedia of Double Bass Drumming." It has a bunch of exercises in there, and many usable fills and riffs in there. I just got it and it's pretty good from the looks of it.

Yes!!! Buy this book. I've had it for some time now and there's stuff in there i'll have a tough time with months and months from now. It's the only double bass book you need. If you just practiced that, you'd be on your way. And my new frustration of the week: Sixteenth notes on the bass drums and triplets on the snare. feels weird. Anyone play these..?
                      Affordable Website Design - DigiSiteDesigns.com !

Comment

I need some picks that I can't find at any local stores too (jazz IIIs).

Well listen, I'll do what I can for your drumming career, but for guitar stuff, you're on your own. I have my own guitar problems !!

Comment

Here's what you can do to strengthen your muscles. Start out by playing some normal beats that you know. Then play those same beats using only your left foot. See how fast you can go with it. Play the beat untill your left foot stops working(ha). Then work on the faster 16th note basss drum hits(rapid fire) alternating your feet. You may want to work on the very quick bass drum double hit( dada Ka) alternating your starting foot. After that, work on slower beats..but varying your feet. For example don't just go R L R L R L R L...play R L R R L R L L(all even...sounds the same as R L R L) see how even you can get those to sound. At the end of your double bass workout, play (rapid fire bass) as fast as you can for as long as you can.....untill your legs hurt and you are out of breath!

Comment

yes the key is to practice a lot to work out your muscles. do what the other guys were saying by really tightening the springs down and working hard on keeping your heel down. doing that helps me even though i play heel up still.

also if you sit down at work or school or whatever practice just on the floor by stretching your muscles with your heel down. you know what i mean? get in the habit of doing it a lot.

Comment

Last week I was yelled at at camp for tapping my feet too loudly... I had steel-toes on.
                              http://www.paintballresource.org

Comment

wow... thanks

I've never gotten so much help in my life...

oh yeah and Kingnome, I don't need lessons, I already know how to 'do the math', I've been playing guitar for 5 years

thanks again everyone

god I love you all
                                remember: you’re a wreck, an accident.
                                Forget the freak, your just nature.
                                Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned **************** snort,
                                and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the engine run.
                                Because in the end, everything we do, is just everything we’ve done.

Comment

Working...
                                X