lending gear out....

dave_noosence

• Members

The other post got me thinking, what does everyone here think about sharing their gear when at shows?

I feel it really depends on what they want, but usually I frown on the fact that they want to borrow, and don't bring their own {censored}. UNLESS they are a touring band and couldn't fit something in the van (thats understandable)

But when they have the piece of equipment and just want to use mine becasue it's better, thats bull{censored}, I hate that the most. They want their setup to look better by using mine and beating the {censored} out of it on stage.

Or if they use it and then leave in on stage and don't even help you take it off the stage, those faggots.

What if someone asked you to borrow sticks at a gig, cause they "forgot" them...what would you say to them?

I want everyones opinions on this, it's more interesting than "which is better stage custom or rockstar"

• Members

This is in a guitar player's pov. I hate it too. There's very few people I'd trust with my gear. The people a do trust are even more careful with my gear than I am so I wouldn't be mad at them is something broke. People need to save up their pennies instead of always wanting to borrow my amp.

Now giving a novice drum player sticks is a good idea.

• Members

Well it depends... It goes both ways.... Ive been at gigs, and forgot something or had something stolen an hour before and had other drummers be totally cool with letting me use a snare, or stand or whatever.... and Ive had drummers be total dicks about using something as minor as a drum rug. Id say its a case by case basis.... It would a prick thing to do, not to let another guitarist borrow something like a pick, or a cable IMO. But, I wouldnt let just anyone 'borrow' my brand new pedal or soldano head. With drums its hard though, because there is a certian destruction level to drumming. With stuff like a throne, drum rug, cymbal stand, clamp, etc... I am more than happy to let someone borrow! But actual drums, or pedals or cymbals.... it would depend. Our last show, the opening band asked to borrow our guitars because theirs got locked in a studio while the engineer went out of town, our guitarists were ok with it... treated their guitars great, thanked us on the mic, and they took us out afterword and bought us dinner! So, its kinda a music kharma thing... you never know when you are gonna forget or lose or break a key/washer/stand/felt/stick/ etc....

• Members

I would definetly let someone use my gear but I would be very up front with them about treating my gear with respect and about replacing anything that might have broke as long as they forgot something or if something broke of there's but not if they already own the piece of equip and just wanted to use mind because it was better. But if I played jazz there would be no way I would let a metal drummer use my gear.

Just like joe said it is a two way street, say if you forgot your sick bag and there's no time or it's to late to find a shop and the other drummer wouldn't let me have a pair of sticks all I can say is

what comes around goes around.

• Members

Originally posted by drummerjoe

.. you never know when you are gonna forget or lose or break a key/washer/stand/felt/stick/ etc....

Professionals double-check their gear and bring spare parts. I'm not saying bad luck doesn't happen, but YOU SHOULD BE PREPARED ! Ever hear the saying "The show must go on" ?

No body plays my drums if I don't personally know them and their playing style. If they're hard hitters, they get to watch me play.;)

• Members

See, thats what I do, I double check everything before I leave my home. But as was said earlier, {censored} happens, and the show must go on. I carry a pair of {censored}in old thick sticks just incase a drummer asks me to borrow a pair, which has happened before. He gets to borrow the sticks and I could care less what he does to them, but I doubt he could break them.

• Members

I don't worry too much about someone

playing my drums, they're pretty tough

I do worry about my cymbals though

they're just too damn expensive and

don't even ask to play my paper thin

So if another drummer at a gig wants

to use my drums, that's cool.

Just bring your own cymbals please

;)

• Members
Originally posted by Kingnome

Professionals double-check their gear and bring spare parts. I'm not saying bad luck doesn't happen, but YOU SHOULD BE PREPARED ! Ever hear the saying "The show must go on" ?

No body plays my drums if I don't personally know them and their playing style. If they're hard hitters, they get to watch me play.
;)

Well I suppose you have never had anything stolen? Or broken? I had my throne stolen on tour, and had to borrow on for a few shows until I could scrape the money together from merch sales to buy a new one... so the show had to go on with another drummer being cool and letting me borrow his. Guess I should be more professional and pack 2 or 3 thrones next time. :rolleyes:

• Members

Well as a drummer myself, If I know the guy - which 9 times out of 10 I do - it's totally cool with me.

But there are a few case in points that I'd have to say "NO" too. If you bash, bring your own {censored}. If you break my stuff, my fist and your face will become well acquainted....hahahaha

j/k

• Members

As a general rule I don't like others to play my stuff. If I were to see another drummer in a pinch I would help him out.

I toured over in Europe where we were the headliner. I had to agree before hand to let the opening band use my kit due to space limitations on the bus.

I've also done 2 shows where I let opening bands use my kit to save time which basically saved the show and allowed us to play longer.

Almost all of the drummers I've met have been quite cool and very respectful of other people's property.

• Members

Originally posted by drummerjoe

Well I suppose you have never had anything stolen? Or broken? I had my throne stolen on tour, and had to borrow on for a few shows until I could scrape the money together from merch sales to buy a new one... so the show had to go on with another drummer being cool and letting me borrow his. Guess I should be more professional and pack 2 or 3 thrones next time.
:rolleyes:

Hey Superstar-- I said "I'm not saying bad luck doesn't happen..."

You should read more carefully, and stop writing so much.;)

• Members

Ah, there might be a few occasions a might let a band use my kit, but not my cymbals...The problem with using someone else's kit is, it usually isn't set-up like your own and you have to change it and it still isn't comfortable. Then you waste time setting it back up how you want it..

• Members

I had to use another kid's crappy set when we played a gig; I wasn't all too happy. Our guitarist (basically the leader) was yelling at the other guys: "He didn't spend his {censored}ing money on a set so he could use some piece of {censored}. Same way I didn't spend money on my guitars so I could go to a public performance and play a $50 import."

Regardless of ^this^, I still had to use the set. I wasn't happy, but at least I got to use my cymbal, my snare, and my pedal. Nobody else used the cymbal (although I wouldn't have cared, the thing's wicked thick), and nobody else used the snare (which I wouldn't have lent out anyway, I've seen those kids break almost-new snare heads). Everyone used my pedal, just everyone else ignored the left side (double pedal), and played with the hi-hat.

• Members

I wasn't trying to sound like dick in my post or anything, i'd certainly let someone use something of mine if it was an emergency etc. But if some guy wanted to wail on my kit because he didn't want to lug his around or mine is "better than his," then screw him. As for these guys who share kits, if you share a kit with 3 other drummers, you obviously don't put a lot of thought into your music. A drum set is a very personal sound and should be arranged sonically to enhance the music you are playing. If you don't care what the kit sounds like as long as you can wail away, then your band probably sucks ass.

• Members

Originally posted by dave_noosence

I carry a pair of {censored}in old thick sticks just incase a drummer asks me to borrow a pair, which has happened before. He gets to borrow the sticks and I could care less what he does to them, but I doubt he could break them.

I assume you meant you couldn't care less. Sorry, pet peeve of mine. I'm annoyed by weird stuff.

Wade

:eek:

• Members

Well Ive never really had to lend {censored} out to other drummers that i dont know... but Im pretty aight with the guys that i know cause they know they have to pay for it if they break it and also i can find them and rape them till they pay me the money if they are being cheapasses.

But i wouldnt let ppl use my gear cause it would be harder to get the cash from the bastard if he broke it running around the whole city lol.. But theres an old saying "If u dont want something done to u dont do it to them" well thats more for pranks lol but I guess god will screw u for being mean to every drummer u come across(breaking 5 drumsticks in a 30 minute show)

But if someone ever broke my beautiful iron cobras i would personally ram my foot up their ass along with my drumsticks until his Ass will be {censored}ting drumsticks for the next Few months

:mad: LOL

Ren

Archived