Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the price of a double pedal why not just get another bass drum?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the price of a double pedal why not just get another bass drum?

In my case if I ever wanted a double pedal it wouldn't be too much more to just get another rockstar bass drum and two iron cobra pedals used. Plus two bass drums just look cooler. I haven't seen my local bands use two bass drums, is it just because it's more stuff to haul around? I don't really mind having to haul it around.

Also what's the iron cobra jr.? Is it any good? I'm assuming it isn't since they bidding on it is rather low with a day to go. Is it better than the regular old $40 tama bass pedal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=895620930

I'm not gonna kick another bass drum or anything for a long time but I'm just wondering why I don't see it as much.

Double bass drum vs double pedal-

There are a bunch of differences, but the main one is tuning. It's a hell of a lot easier to tune one bass drum than to try to tune one, then tune another to sound exactly the same.
    http://www.paintballresource.org

Comment

Originally posted by Chabo
      Double bass drum vs double pedal-

There are a bunch of differences, but the main one is tuning. It's a hell of a lot easier to tune one bass drum than to try to tune one, then tune another to sound exactly the same.

I knew I overlooked something. Thanks that's exactly what I needed to know.

Comment

plus gigging with 2 huge bass drums can potentially suck.
        Hi,

Please clean up your language when posting in our forums if you want to
        participate. We can tolerate some profanity, but some of your recent
        posts are too much.

Scott

Comment

ps. does suck

Comment

Well, like I said there are a ton of reasons, but I can only remember a couple.

With two bass drums, it's more customizable. You could purposely tune the second one differently, or you could have it be a different size.

Supposedly, it's easier to play single stroke rolls with a double pedal.

I'll post more tomorrow, I forget.

Comment

I don't know what kind of kit you're playing, but a second bass is going to run you a hell of a lot more than a double pedal on a high end kit.

Comment

Right. I bought my double pedal for $150 used, meanwhile another bass drum would've been at least $200 used if I wanted good condition, plus the cost of the pedal. And I would've wanted to have matching pedals, so I would've had to buy two.

Comment

2 bass drums aren't very practical for
                  a club gigging drummer because there is
                  usually not enough room on stage
                  for a huge kit.

Plus maintanence is higher due to
                  one more drum to buy heads for,
                  I'd much rather spend $30 on 1
                  BD head than $60 on 2
                  Bigjohn - Professional Thread Killer

Comment

or for the price of another bass drum, why not buy a whole other set, like in my case. it was going to run $305 for a new bass. And my dad suggested, "Well, if another set is $500, why not get that?" I like his reasoning! That really made sense for me, since my first kit was a rockstar fusion kit. I only have 2 matching drums, and thats the 12" toms. I just tune 'em differently. Made sense to me. . .
                    Affordable Website Design - DigiSiteDesigns.com !

Comment

That's why I said in my case because I know that two bass drums on a higher end kit cost more anyways. I rockstar bass drum is a lot cheaper. I didn't think about the heads either. A double pedal is looking a lot better now.

Comment

Another thing to consider in addition to everything already mentioned, having another bass drum means one more rather large chamber for sound to resonate in.

This could be considered a pro OR a con I suppose.

Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

The show, no matter how retarded, must go on. This is why musicians drink so much, alcohol helps them cope with facts by enveloping their brains and auditory senses in a haze of thickly applied B.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigjohn
                          2 bass drums aren't very practical for
                          a club gigging drummer because there is
                          usually not enough room on stage
                          for a huge kit.

Plus maintanence is higher due to
                          one more drum to buy heads for,
                          I'd much rather spend $30 on 1
                          BD head than $60 on 2

What he said.
                          I am therefore I think!

Comment

A lot of valid points. However, it is really a matter of personal preference. The cost factor is not that much. The extra head is not that much, how often do you break a bass drum head? Tuning does not take long and once it's tuned it doesn't really go out of tune and only requires very minor adjustments from time to time, same as with one kick.

Space is not really an issue and I've played some very small bars and I have a monster kit.

Whatever your personal preference is you can always find reasons to justify your choice.

My advice, get what you want and damn what everyone else thinks.

Comment

From "The Encyclopedia of Double Bass Drumming":

What are the differences between using two bass drums and using a double pedal? Both setups have their own advantages and disadvantages. Double pedals give you a more even articulation, attack, and sound. Two bass drums give you a wider broader sound. Using two bass drums of the same size, but tuned differently, or playing two different-size bass drums, can give you a variety of pitches to work with.

Of course, the convenience and portability of playing a double pedal are obvious. (And most studio and live-sound engineers prefer only dealing with one bass drum!) Two bass drums also bring about the challenge of increased physical movement, because they expand the kit. With double bass you might have to stretch a little to reach your toms and cymbals.

To a certain extent, singles are easier to play on double pedals, just like singles played by the hands are easier on one drum than split between two. But broken-up figures are a bit easier to play on two bass drums.

There ya have it. That about covers it.

Comment

Working...
                              X