who's tone or sound do you like most in their bands recordings??

DrummerSloth

• Members

Do you mean the recorded sound of their particular drums....

...in that case I like

the toms and bass of Godsmack

toms of tim alexander, carter beauford, mike portnoy

The snare of korn, blink, 311 (for tight snares) and carter beauford

bass of poison the wells drummer, mike p

I can't think of anymore right now, but I'll post more when I get them

• Moderators

Stephen Morris on Joy Division's Closer

Kevin Haskins on Bauhaus' In the Flat Field

Jim MacPherson on the Breeder's Last Splash

Borris Williams on the Cure's Wish

Bill Legend on T Rex's The Slider

Budgie on the Banshees Hyaena

• Members
Originally posted by stapes2260

Godsmack??? His drums sound like {censored} in my opinion. You can barely hear it behind that overly distorted mess they call guitar riffs. Not to mention the singer that sounds like he just got karate chopped in the voice box.

• Members

Originally posted by Hamburgermilk

There's no way you can tell what the drums actually sound like in a produced album. They could be cardboard boxes and the sound guy can make them sound good.

In other words, get a good sound guy and you never have to worry about sounding bad? Woo hoo!!

• Members

Originally posted by pconn171

i'll take {censored} for this one - but i love the sound of creed's drummer's drums - which makes me ask: - is that the recording setup or the sound of his drums?

It's the recording setup in all honesty... his drums might still sound amazing (as I'm sure they do, since he's no doubt endorsed by top companies) but it's not the same as what comes through onto the recording.

Wade

:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by john clarity

mitch mitchell and keith moon....also two drummers whose live stuff sounds the same as studio.

And someone mentioned Bonham as well. It goes to show that how you hit your toms makes a huge difference in tone as well. I kinda like the way John's drums sound on SOAD's Toxicity.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Chabo

In other words, get a good sound guy and you never have to worry about sounding bad? Woo hoo!!

Well...

If you have carefully tuned drums in a good-sounding room, recorded with good mics (carefully positioned) into good preamps onto a good recording medium (especially if it's analog) and then have it mixed carefully, by someone with an attentive ear and good rackmount processors.... well, it's going to sound great, whether it's an expensive custom-made Ayotte or a Pearl Forum.

I'd venture to say all the other factors will have more of an effect on the sound than the type of kit, too.

• Members
Originally posted by stapes2260

When you say mitchell do you mean mitch mitchell? His drums are so raw on the recordings w/ hendrix, i love it. It fits the music perfectly. I've always loved the sound of drums that aren't tweaked to oblivion.

Yep thats who I meant, especially on "Love or confusion?" and "Up from the skies.":cool:

Archived