snare buzz question

Tidus

• Members

I'm relatively new to drums so I have no idea what's going on with my snare. When I hit the snare, after the attack sounds, I have an extra half second of "buzz". As though a few of the snares are still hitting the bottom. Is this normal? It sounds kind of unpleasant. Help is appreciated.

• Members

What kind of snare is it? Is it a cheap snare, like an export or something like that? I had a mapex V snare (the entry level kit) and it didn't even have a snare bed cut into it. Needless to say, it sounded like ass. Did you try tightening up the strainer a little bit?

• Members

I agree with JSimms. This is definitely the case if you have name brand equipment.

If your equipment is no-name and very inexpensive that could be part or most of the problem but even so, proper tuning can lessen the buzz or eliminate it.

The snares themselves can also be at fault. Since snares are relatively inexpensive get a decent quality, name brand if you don't already own them.

• Members

Originally posted by stapes2260

What kind of snare is it? Is it a cheap snare, like an export or something like that? I had a mapex V snare (the entry level kit) and it didn't even have a snare bed cut into it. Needless to say, it sounded like ass. Did you try tightening up the strainer a little bit?

Your drum sounds like your ASS?!?!?! How did you accomplish this feat?

Wade

:eek:

• Members

i have always heard that the spring snare wires vibrate much more than cable wires - you could try them - i think grover makes this type - they have a fatter sound from what i am told - i myself have never tried them - so this is just hear-say

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Probably got yourself a crappy set of snare wires. All the strands are probably not tensioned the same, and 2 or 3 are looser than the others. You might as well spend the 20 or 30 bucks and get yourself a new set of wires, and while your at it, a new reso head, and new cords to tie the snare's on. (I have also seen this problem when using cords to tie the snare on, one cord is shorter or tighter than the other, and you get a little "lift off" on one side of the snares and some uncontrolled buzz.)

Then use the tuning link above to tune them. Could also be poorly cut snare beds or poor bearing edges (unless its a metal snare)

Tell us what kind of snare it is, what kind of snare wire is on it and how old are they? Did you use an actual tuning method, or just random tightening of the head until it "kinda sounded o.k."

Near impossible for us to diagnose your problem without knowing what you "got under the hood"

• Members

I've got a crappy Export and my snare used to do that. So I just went to my local drum store and picked up a container of moon gel. Placed four strips around my batter head and it took all the buzz away. :thu: good stuff :thu:

• Members

I've got a crappy Export and my snare used to do that. So I just went to my local drum store and picked up a container of moon gel. Placed four strips around my batter head and it took all the buzz away.
:thu:
good stuff
:thu:

Four pieces of moon gel... :cry:

Anyways, I used to have that problem with my snare when I first got my set, but turns out it was just me not knowing how to tune it correctly. Brought the snare tension as high as it will go, tuned the reso and batter head properly this time, and it went away. I still get some "ring", but it's the good kind, not that ugly "bzzzzzzzZZPPPPPP" if that makes sense.

Archived