Anybody else a Taye lover?

Newman

• Members

I've had a Taye Studio Maple drum set for about three months now and I think its the best deal out there. You can get a top of the line kit and top of the line hardware included for about 1300 dollars. Just wondering if anybody else plays them, and what they think of them.

• Members

I was thinking about getting one of those kits for a while, but i decided i'm going to build my own when i have the $$. Yes, they are definately one of the best deals out there for a professional kit. Supposedly, Mr. Ayotte (the man who started the company, not the company in general) is somehow involved with taye drums. Supposedly he no longer owns or operates ayotte drums. That's what i heard, i don't know the entire story.

• Members

I don't think i'd buy an entry level kit from them, not that i don't think they'd be nice, but i don't like basswood drums. I've had a basswood set and i hated it. The shells are very think, the wood is soft, and i don't particularly like the sound.

• Members

First,

Stapes. yes, Ray Ayotte is the president of Taye. Taye has been around for about 25 years in Taiwan making shells and heads for other companies (Remo, etc). Ray is helping refocus on the North America market. Ray left Ayotte a couple years at the request of the Board of Directors, not a good situation.

As for their entry level kits, they have a forum level student kit called the Spotlight for around $375-$400, the Export/Rockstar level kit is called RockPro, and comes in with hardware for around $450-$500. Both are made of the same luaun (mahogany) that the other companies make their entry kits out of, and the hardware is very sturdy for the price range.

Moving up from there, they have the ProX which is a thin Basswood/Luaun/Basswood shell in a lacquer. It goes for around $600-$700 with medium weight hardware. Next up the line is the TourPro, their all basswood Semi-Pro kit dropping in at $750-$900. The basswood that they use is actually not the same quality basswood that is used as filler in other drums. It's a harder and warmer version that has a lot of the qualities of maple with a little less depth and warmth.

There was a review in Modern Drummer of the Studio Maple (Top end) and RockPro a couple of months ago that was VERY complimentary. They are absolutely THE best bang for the buck in the market right now, no question.

Mike

• Members

I bought a Rock Pro about a year ago w/ basswood shells and I really like what I got for the money. I got a 5 piece w/ 18" bd for $525. Started playing again after a 15 year hiatus and I'm really pleased with the quality of the drums and the hardware. When I upgrade within the next year I will seriously consider buying their maple shell kit. For the money you can't beat it. I ended up putting coated ambassadors on all the drums cause' the heads that came with were really horrible sounding.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I'm buying a Taye drum tomorrow I was looking for the Studio Maple for the sound but I guess I'm gonna go for the ProX version because of the price. The question is the ProX which is a thin Basswood/Luaun/Basswood shell in a lacquer. I'm wondering if the sound quality will really suffer and if the the wood is a good quality.

• Members
Originally posted by unicellulaire

I'm buying a Taye drum tomorrow I was looking for the Studio Maple for the sound but I guess I'm gonna go for the ProX version because of the price. The question is the ProX which is a thin Basswood/Luaun/Basswood shell in a lacquer. I'm wondering if the sound quality will really suffer and if the the wood is a good quality.

Modern Drummer didn't give them a bad review but they didn't rave abot them either. If I remember, they said the bass drum was unable to get a deep tone, there were other minuses but thats all I remember. As we always say here... Play lots of drums and get the one YOU like the most.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived