I Have To Bitch

J-town Drummer

• Members

This post is more or less gonna be bashing Creed's drummer. I just have to vent a bit. I'm so sick of hearing about Scott Phillips and how good he supposedly is.

He lacks originality. By this I mean simply that all one has to do is listen to the chorus of ANY Creed song. You'll hear Scott on the ride, and then go to those hi-hat accents over and over again. It's very annoying.

The reason I'm saying all of this is because my band has a couple Creed songs in our set that we play, and it's very boring to have to do that same pattern for every chorus. I know, I could just drop that, and play my own thing, but usually, when I cover a song I try to more or less play the song the way it is off the CD.

Anyway, sorry if this bothered anyone, and if you're a Creed fan, this isn't a shot at you. I just had to get this off my chest.

• Members

Originally posted by J-town Drummer

This post is more or less gonna be bashing Creed's drummer. I just have to vent a bit. I'm so sick of hearing about Scott Phillips and how good he supposedly is.

He lacks originality. By this I mean simply that all one has to do is listen to the chorus of ANY Creed song. You'll hear Scott on the ride, and then go to those hi-hat accents over and over again. It's very annoying.

The reason I'm saying all of this is because my band has a couple Creed songs in our set that we play, and it's very boring to have to do that same pattern for every chorus. I know, I could just drop that, and play my own thing, but usually, when I cover a song I try to more or less play the song the way it is off the CD.

Anyway, sorry if this bothered anyone, and if you're a Creed fan, this isn't a shot at you. I just had to get this off my chest.

Ditto!

• Members

Originally posted by J-town Drummer

I had the same problem whe my band would play Pink Floyd. The music is great, but the drum parts are kind of bland. I just decided, {censored} it, I don't have to concentrate too hard here, I can listen to the music and have a good time. It worked for me.

• Members

someone posted he has been playing for 10 years!!!!

oh my {censored}ing god, i have been playing for 5.5 years and i can play him into the ground about 3-4 times over.

he sucks for playing 10 years, i can only imagine what i can do when i get to my 10 year mark...

oh yeah, i hate creed.

kyle

• Members

Originally posted by the other kyle

oh my {censored}ing god, i have been playing for 5.5 years and i can play him into the ground about 3-4 times over.

he sucks for playing 10 years, i can only imagine what i can do when i get to my 10 year mark...

oh yeah, i hate creed.

kyle

whatever dude ... just beacuse thats the way the guy plays like that in the band doesent meen thats what skill level he is at ... what he plays (boring as it may be) fits the music ... i think its alot harder to check your ego and play for the song rather than just for yourself

• Members

oh yeah, i hate creed.

kyle

Hey, I was just defending the guy...I've never paid attention to his drum parts cause I switch the channel as soon as their tunes come on. Crazydave has a good point, maybe he could play your immature ass into the ground...asshole2.gif

• Members

Originally posted by crazydave

i think its alot harder to check your ego and play for the song rather than just for yourself

This used to be a popular saying- "play for the song".--Don't hear that too much anymore.......:(

• Members

immature ass am i? god damn you are {censored}ing lame.

anyway...

if he could be so great, then why would he want to be in a band where he can't show his talent (excluding money)?

and the saying play for the song, or as i have heard it more often as the kiss theory, "keep it simple stupid" is really some 80s run off crap, only a few people i know really pay keep that in mind. i play for the song and for myself to expand the song by making it busy where it needs to be.

• Members

I don't know any household names of drummers that ever "played for the song" all the time. If you want people to notice you (not just drummers), then sometimes you have go over over the top once and a while. Bonham certainly went over the top on occasions, as does neil peart. Look how well known tommy lee is, attitude and flair go a long way. And do i even have to mention Keith Moon..........

The point is that sometimes marketing yourself is as important as your talent (if you're looking to make it). I'm not saying it's a replacement for talent, but it can certainly seperate you from the pack if you're looking to make yourself known.

• Members

I guess the thing that bugs drummers the most is the fact guys like Phillips are given the title "Best Rock Drummer" because of the BANDS they are in are popular. I think it has always hurt the art of percussion because younger drummers see how easy this is and they settle for being a simple beat player. The true art of drumming gets lost, and these guys are actually cheating themselves out of something by not learning different styles,time signatures, and so on. I wish I would have practiced this sermon about 20 years ago. Maybe I would be talked about on this forum instead of Phillips.;)

• Members

Well, I don't know if the dude from creed

is a great drummer or not.

What I do know is that he's playing in a

band that's on top of the world right now

making millions, selling out arenas and

banging as many hot girls

as he cares to ;)

Maybe it's just lottery luck, but the dude

was obviously in the right place at the

right time when he hooked up w/Creed

and I bet anyone in here would love to

be in his place, I know I would :D

• Members

immature ass am i? god damn you are {censored}ing lame.

anyway...

if he could be so great, then why would he want to be in a band where he can't show his talent (excluding money)?

Why am I lame? You sure sound pretty damn immature to me. You spout off insults without substance. How intelligent. Might wanna stop diggin' yourself a hole.

Maybe he likes the music, that's why he's in the band. Maybe the guys in the band are his best buds. You aren't too bright, are you?

• Members

Hey hey now, I am no Creed fan, but let us not bash the man simply for playing simply. It's pretty easy for any of us to say "aw, hell, I could wipe the floor with his ass! he sucks! I am five gazillion billion kajillion times better than him!" because who will really ever know? We're all behind a computer screen anyway. Now, I know it's sad that he gets recognized as the "best new drummer" and all that, it sucks but it's a popularity contest and Creed is damn popular. However, let's keep in mind that simplicity can be really great. Like Hootie and the Blowfish - I love the band, the music, and the drummer. He too does nothing but simple stuff and I like it that way! So when your band hits the limelight, you go out there and play as complexly as you would like. Until then, well he's the one that's being paid to play. Oh, as I said, I am no Creed fan, and I too get sick of hearing about him. Just relaying my thoughts. :)

Wade

:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Bigjohn

Well, I don't know if the dude from creed

is a great drummer or not.

What I do know is that he's playing in a

band that's on top of the world right now

making millions, selling out arenas and

banging as many hot girls

as he cares to
;)

Maybe it's just lottery luck, but the dude

was obviously in the right place at the

right time when he hooked up w/Creed

and I bet anyone in here would love to

be in his place, I know I would
:D

just to support you here - people love this band and has anybody even considered the fact that the drummer is in the band too - if you put someone else in his seat - would the band still be as popular from the get go - that's a question the should be posed - it's like the music would be different no matter how you look at it - no two drummers sound alike

• Members

Originally posted by Maniac

Ditto on top of your ditto
;)
Although I think some of the songs are good... Remember he does what he needs to do, and he's very tight live.

thats tru ... he is very tight live ... when they came down to Australia i went to see them (Sevendust were opening for them but they pulled out:() and scott philips was right on

• Members

How does:

Music for the Masses=Music for Retards?

i admit, i think most people that listen to Creed are kinda retarded, but i like thier 2nd cd, so am i retarded too? music is too subjective to be argued about, so we should stop arguing. but we never will. :)

Archived