Ever have one of those days

vanlatte

• Members

When you are just HOT and you feel like you can play anything?

I was on vacation for a week and had not played in a while, when I got home I hopped on the kit and man, I don't usually toot my own horn but I just felt like I could play ANYTHING. Grooves that I usually have a tough time with seemed to roll right out, I was coming up with new beats and patterns left and right. I must have spent an hour and a half just jamming, it seemed to go by like a heartbeat.

Man, why does'nt that happen more often? Is deprivation the key?

:eek:

• Members

Sometimes that happens to me after i watch the jazz channel for a while. I think i subliminally pick up cool stuff. In any case.....usually if you do something every day, after you take a long break you can do it much better.....I've noticed that it only lasts that one time though. so i try to play forever..cuz i know if i get up to get a drink or something..it'll all be over when i sit back down. It's good for us to know we have the potential though right!

• Members

Yes! There is such a thing as over-practicing. To help make those magical days the norm instead of the exception, try to notice the little things you are doing. How relaxed or tense are you, how physically tired you feel, are you just playing for fun or are you seriously working on something specific. Notice the same things when you are having a bad day.

Knowing how you feel in any instant and correlating that to your playing can help you change what you might be doing subliminally wrong and can help you focus on what you should be doing right. Your concentration and mental state as opposed to your actual physical playing can make the difference between playing good all the time or only occasionally without knowing why.

• Members

I can't play for {censored} if i don't get a good night's sleep. Plus sometimes i get tense if i am trying TOO hard. I play great after a beer or two.... But 10 beers and you THINK you're {censored}ing portnoy, till you realize you aren't even hitting the drums.

• Members

Originally posted by Scheming Demon

Yes! There is such a thing as over-practicing. To help make those magical days the norm instead of the exception, try to notice the little things you are doing. How relaxed or tense are you, how physically tired you feel, are you just playing for fun or are you seriously working on something specific. Notice the same things when you are having a bad day.

Knowing how you feel in any instant and correlating that to your playing can help you change what you might be doing subliminally wrong and can help you focus on what you should be doing right. Your concentration and mental state as opposed to your actual physical playing can make the difference between playing good all the time or only occasionally without knowing why.

Those are some great thoughts, SD, I will try to keep those in mind.

Now that I think about it, I was VERY relaxed when I had this "magical moment" :D In fact, I had little to no expectations since I had not played in a while, I was just blowing off steam.

Something tells me if I make a deliberate attempt to duplicate this it will fail. Sort of like trying really hard not to think of something, which will inevitably leave you focusing on the one thing you are trying to ignore.

Part of me likes the notion, "Just PLAY the damn things"!

V.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

When you are just
HOT
and you feel like you can play anything?

I was on vacation for a week and had not played in a while, when I got home I hopped on the kit and man, I don't usually toot my own horn but I just felt like I could play ANYTHING. Grooves that I usually have a tough time with seemed to roll right out, I was coming up with new beats and patterns left and right. I must have spent an hour and a half just jamming, it seemed to go by like a heartbeat.

Man, why does'nt that happen more often? Is deprivation the key?

:eek:

Hell...I'm having one of those LIVES!

I wish. :poke:

• Members

Oh yes, but usually it's the other way around. I can't play crap for hours or I'm out synch for a day or two and finding the pocket is an unknown!

Yes, sometimes is like system overload and a break does a body good. You just want to recharge and "just play" again, helps take the edge off at times!

Archived