Triggered Systems ... whats your favorite?

crazydave

• Members

I've decided to switch my tama rockstar custom over to a triggered system ... i've got a starclassic maple for awsome acoustic sounds, but the rockstar is the road dog of the two and i'm sick of getting a great sound one night then an average sound the next.

The one i'm really interested to get your opinion on is the Drum4 Brain and trigger kit where you get the snare, kick, 3 tom triggers, and all the cables.

... How does DDrum compare to some of the other companies ?

... Do you haft to use mesh heads with the DDrum system or can you use real drum heads ?

... I'm in Australia so there is a good chance i wont get to try before i buy ... big leap of faith so i need some sugestions from you guys :cool:

thanks !

• Members

Though I truly hate triggers.... I do know that the ddrum is the superior one. You dont have to use mesh heads, you can use normal drum heads. ddrum really is far better, its what every pro trigger user uses. The brain is better, the triggers are more accurate and durable. the real reason to use the mesh heads in that case would be the feel and no residual drum tone. You could also fill your drum with packing peanuts if you just want a dead trigger surface.

• Members

Ddrum is, for my money, the best e-drum manufacturer out there. They sample acoustic drums for their sounds, offer new ones online and continually expand, and have lightning-quick signaling. You can't go wrong if you have the cash (assuming you want realistic sounds). And damn, I wish I went to a school that lent out Ddrum equipment.

Wade

:eek:

• Members

.... how to they rate next to actual realistic drum sounds ???

Pretty well, go listen yourself at http://www.clavia.se/ddrum/index.htm

You can download a little program there wich you use to listen the midi files.

I suggest that you go listen at the Megakits series first because there are best sounding, i used some birch kit from megakits when we recorded our demo.

.... how do they rate next to the other companies ???

dunno but i don

• Members

Originally posted by DarthWader

And damn, I wish I went to a school that lent out Ddrum equipment.

hehe, we have the permission to borrow all kinds of stuff from there.

One time when we recorded i borrowed stuff from there with a value over 3000euro plus there is a high-quality studio in there in wich we can record ourselves or with some studio guy for free.

• Members

As far as (acoustic)triggering goes, the ddrum AT, ddrum3 and ddrum4 are the most accurate modules you can get.

When comparing the sound quality of the ddrum4 brain with others, I'd definately say the ddrum4 has the most realistic sounds available. The Roland and Alesis modules do have some nice features, like built in effects and so on, but if the sound quality is the most important, go for a ddrum.

• Members

Originally posted by MPCman

As far as (acoustic)triggering goes, the ddrum AT, ddrum3 and ddrum4 are the most accurate modules you can get.

When comparing the sound quality of the ddrum4 brain with others, I'd definately say the ddrum4 has the most realistic sounds available. The Roland and Alesis modules do have some nice features, like built in effects and so on, but if the sound quality is the most important, go for a ddrum.

Ddrum AT ... Ddrum3 ... Ddrum4

i've only seen Ddrum4 ... i'm preety new to the entire triggered stuff ... what are the differnces between the 3 ???

thanks guys

• Members

Ddrum AT is an outdated model with not so much possibilities as the newer models, but was the first ddrum module with good acoustic drum triggering capabilities (AT = Acoustic Triggering). Basically the AT was an upgraded version of the ddrum2.

The ddrum3 is by some people considered the ultimate ddrum module. It offers you the possibility to use your own sounds and assign them in any way you want to your pads. You can use velocity switching of positional sensing for fading between sounds etc, or assign the pitch to the pressure sensing..

The ddrum4 is the most recent(and only available) ddrum module. Internal it has the same capabilities as the ddrum3, but you cant edit all the parameters. So some sounds support pos. sensing or pressure sensing, but the sounds which dont have it will never have it.

You can use your own samples though, but the parameter editing for that is limited. You cant layer sounds etc.

The ddrum4 offers a very large library of sounds, you can erase the whole flash rom memory of the module and fill it with sounds you want to use. You can find all the current ddrum4 sounds on Clavia's website (www.clavia.se).

Also the ddrum4 is the first ddrum module with cymbal pad support.

• Members

Originally posted by crazydave

Thanks for your help everybody ... i'm going to get some prices on the Ddrum4 Kit with the Ddrum Triggers ... i'll get back to you on how it turns out

No one said anything about the prices, if u've got 500 dollars for a trigger module, ddrum is nothing for you :)

Archived