pearl rhythm traveller: decent starter set?

tm3

• Members

It depends on what you want to use it for. It's got half size drums except for the snare. So, if shallow concert toms are the sound you are looking for they are great. They are also good for practice as they come with mesh heads. But, I am not sure they are really useful for live playing. You get 10, 12, and 14 toms but they are the same depth. The bass is a 8 x 20, and you may like the sound, but it is lacking.

I got the set when it first came out, paid $400. The snare is pretty good, but I wish I had saved a little longer and gotten a rockstar with the remo muffle rings or something similar.

I don't really buy their claim that it's a practice and gig set. If I could go back I'd actually get a rockstar and buy mesh heads separately.

It may sound better with pinstripes though.....

• Members

thanks for the reply.

for now, a practice/learning set exclusively. if i ever get to the point of going out to play live, i can invest in a better set.

if i go the rockstar route, i'll have to set them up for sound deadening anyway. so i'm not sure the tone is really an issue, for me.

i had planned on trying to pick up a used full set in the $400 range or so, but nothing has turned up.

given the above, you can see my attraction to the rhythm traveller set at the sale price. my biggest concern is investing in something that starts falling apart with light use and i end up spending a bundle on replacement pieces.

but, i might not be on the right track at all. which is why i decided to ask!

thanks again for your input!

• Members

uhhh i don't think putting pinstripes on it is going to help the situation any. The rhythm traveller aren't doesn't ahve a resonant head. Drums with only one head have a lot of attack. Adding a pinstripe is going to just increase that attack. If anything you'll want something warmer, like a thin coated head.

• Members

If you're not looking to spend alot of money, you could always go used. I bought my Rockstar used for $450, and that's including a throne, a good crash/ride, hi-hats, and all of the hardware.

As a practice set, if you get a used export or rockstar, and got a set of B8 or ZBT cymbals, then all you'd have to do to have a good sound live is upgrade the cymbals (unless the cheaper cymbals produce the sound that you're looking for...) And you could start out for under $500, possibly under $3-400.

• Members

how bout this; buy a rhythm traveller as first kit, then when you want to upgrade;

- use the 20x8" kick as wooooooooofer for you 20x18"

- use the single headed toms with higher tuning as timbales on the left side of the kit

- use the 13x5" snare as aux snare

• Members

thanks for all the good advice! it sounds like i would not be going too far wrong with the RT set.

chabo, i'd love to find a deal like you got on your rockstar. but i've had my eyes peeled for a few months now and haven't come across anything like that at all locally. i'm pretty reluctant to use ebay due to the sight-unseen aspect, plus the high shipping cost. but i might take a chance on a really good long distance deal if i found one.

the taye's sound like a good deal. i have not heard much about them other than what the drum guru says on his www page.

thanks again for the help!

• Members

If you are using for a learning and practice set I'd say go for it. If you are getting it complete it's a good deal, hihat stand, cymbal stand, snare stand and a pedal. And MPCman's suggestion to implement it into a full set (when you get it) is a great idea.

One thing I will say, when using the mesh heads be careful not to tighten them up too much. They won't respond like real drums, giving you much more bounce than you'd get from a real drum head. This won't help you learn....

Good luck.

• Members

Look what I got on ebay. It's coming today!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=895350317&rd=1

BTW guitar center is having a good deal on exports, rockstars, and stage customs. The stage customs are $650 new with a free tom, the exports are $500 with a free tom, and the rockstars are $500 with no free tom.

The only catch is they don't come with any hardware or cymbals. It might be easier getting the drums then trying to find the hardware for them used locally.

• Members

Originally posted by tm3

chabo, i'd love to find a deal like you got on your rockstar. but i've had my eyes peeled for a few months now and haven't come across anything like that at all locally. i'm pretty reluctant to use ebay due to the sight-unseen aspect, plus the high shipping cost. but i might take a chance on a really good long distance deal if i found one.

Well, I got it from a friend, but you could probably find a good deal if you put an ad in a local musicians' newspaper. There's always someone trying to get rid of their old set, whether because they're upgrading, or moving on to something else, or whatever.

• Members

that's a real good point about the chameleons (just flip to get the full acoustic sound).

but, they are 50 per cent more plus cymbals on top of that.

i'll have to ponder this a bit.

thanks again for the help.

• Members

Originally posted by tm3

that's a real good point about the chameleons (just flip to get the full acoustic sound).

but, they are 50 per cent more plus cymbals on top of that.

i'll have to ponder this a bit.

thanks again for the help.

I missed the part about 300 for the RT.

Still you could argue that the chameleons are twice the drum in that they are deeper and have 2 heads.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

tm3: I dunno what kit you got yet, but I got the Rhythm Traveler and think it's great!

I'm a n00b as well... I also considered the Chameleon but chose the RT because I figure at the point I might actually get to jam with people, I'll be able to move it a lot more easily than a full kit, or even the Chameleon (I drive an Acura, so space does matter). The Chameleon IS neat because you can just rotate the drums, but mesh heads feel so good that there's no reason while practicing to need to actually switch to real heads anyways.

I was able to get the local Sam Ash to hook me up with a 2001 model (2002 comes with 'real' cymbals but ain't in stores yet), a set of cymbals (Yamaha HHs and 1 crash/ride, I know, crappy but who cares right now) and a decent throne (Pearl D70W) for $370. So if you haven't picked up anything yet, might wanna look around and see if you can get them to hook you up with the 'older' set!

Archived