Which Hi Hats Should I get? I need to know RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Metalmaster

• Members

Quick! I am monitoring 2 auctions on ebay, one ends in an hour, the other in 3 hours. One is for a pair of Zildjian 14" New Beats, the other is for an early 80's pair of Zil's? Which would be better for rock? I want a good chick and a good sloshy open sound. Which would be better for me? How much is each worth? Hurry up and post! Help me!

• Members

I would never buy cymbals off the net. Just because they're a name brand and new doesn't mean they'll sound good. I have 27 year old Zildjian new beats that sound killer so age doesn't really matter. Cymbals of same brand, size, type and weights can sound completely different. I gots ta hear it first! I practice on someone elses set with new beats and they sound horrid!

My 2 cents.

• Members

Originally posted by Splatz

I would never buy cymbals off the net. Just because they're a name brand and new doesn't mean they'll sound good. I have 27 year old Zildjian new beats that sound killer so age doesn't really matter. Cymbals of same brand, size, type and weights can sound completely different. I gots ta hear it first! I practice on someone elses set with new beats and they sound horrid!

My 2 cents.

I would agree with this, except that I have never heard a set of new beats sound bad. The sound does vary, but to my ears they all seem to be just as adequate as any other.

• Members

Gosh, which early 80s hats are they?

Early 80's, try mid 70's. I got them in 75 or 76 used with my first kit. I'd have to look at the inside stamp if it's still readable. They're A Zildjians, medium top and heavy bottom. I use the heavy on the top though...

Archived