your thoughts on the following bands and their drummers

Rage Bass Dude

• Members

radiohead doesn't showcase the drums at all, so who knows

weezer, blah, can't stand geek rockers

David Abbruzzese of pearl jam is a great drummer, adds a lot to pearl jam's music without being over the top. Lots of original fills and beats. Matt Cameron (their new drummer from soundgarden) is also an amazing drummer.

Rage's rhythm section is real tight. The drummer doesn't do anything fancy, but he does play for the music very well. Lots of feel.

Jimmy Chamberlin is a great drummer, so is kenny aronoff (spelling?). I personally thought chamberlin's style fit the music better, he had a huge sound, very powerful and energetic. great for that genre of music.

Greenday? Punk music? Blah, who can't play punk music?

I'm not really a clash fan so i don't know.....

• Members

Originally posted by Rage Bass Dude

Don't flame !
:mad:

radiohead

weezer

pearl jam

rage against the machine

the smashing pumpkins

green day

the clash

Radiohead: in my opinion, the single most overrated band ever. They just make my ears hurt. Their drummer from what I have seen stays in the background keeping it simple, but that means nothing.

Weezer/Pearl Jam/Clash: I don't know enough about or by them to make a good judgement. I wish Pearl Jam had left "Last Kiss" alone though. They just made it worse.

Rage Against the Machine: I really like the band, esp. Morello but he's not the object here. The drummer has a lot of groove and power in my estimation. I like him and them a lot.

Smashing Pumpkins: I highly dislike the band (Billy Corgan's voice... *shudder*). However, I love Chamberlain and Aronoff (don't know if they've had another drummer). Kenny Aronoff is one of my heroes.

Green Day: I do not like the band much except for a few songs. I hate their drummer simply because he feels it necessary to burn his equipment every show. That, to me, means he is a moron.

Wade

:eek:

• Members

radiohead

Kindof a lame band, they use too many programmed beats for me

weezer

The drums are solid, but boring

pearl jam

Matt Cameron is probably the best drummer to come out of the whole "grunge" scene

rage against the machine

I've always liked hip-hop beats on live kits (ala The Roots)

the smashing pumpkins

Chmberlain (sp?) was great, really inspired me to take up drums

green day

I kindof like Green Day, but I've always hated the drums. hh 8th notes dont work in fast punk music

the clash

Probably the greatest band ever. They did so many different styles, their drummer had to have some talent.

• Members

Here's not only an opinionated response, but for a change, some form of detail to support it:

(for sake of keeping the response somewhat credible, I'm only addressing those musicians with whom I am most familiar.)

radiohead

Radiohead's drummer, Phil Selway is a fairly accomplished drummer, mainly because of his ability to play along well with loops and programmed drum tracks. Also, something that seems to be a rarity, he can actually read music quite well. For proof, check out some of the stuff he did with musicals before he joined the band.

weezer

Ok, Pat Wilson would in my opinion be simply an adequate drummer. He occasionally shows some style in fills but he generally tends to follow the KISS principal... somewhat too much at times. This alone isn

• Members

I'll talk about the Clash since no one has really mentioned them yet. The first drummer, Terry Chimes, was an adequate punk drummer that fit in well with the rawness of the first album (my fave from the Clash). The second drummer, Topper Headon, was pretty good and did some interesting stuff on that album. Most of the songs on London Calling are shuffle beats or in 3/4 time...it's a good album to practice to if you are working on those feels.

• Members

Chris Cornell is probably the best drummer to come out of the whole "grunge" scene

Really?

The best drummer Pearl Jam has had was Matt Chamberlain, who filled in when Dave left. Matt used to be the drummer for the Saturday Night Live band and is also the drummer on both Fiona Apple albums, which contain some excellent drumming.

• Members

radiohead: don't listen to radiohead

weezer: i hate him, very redundant

pearl jam: haven't heard much, but i like what i've heard

smashing pumpkins: i love that guy, the drum part on "tonight tonight" fits perfectly (in my opinion)

green day: solid, but kind of boring; there are worse

the clash: who's the clash?

• Members

Radiohead:

I love Radiohead, because they have an unconventional approach to their song formulas. Although their drumming isn't very enthralling, it has a beat that drives the band, which is heard (I was about to say "see" instead of "heard" but that's a whole other issue) in Idioteque, off of Kid A. He knows how to keep adequate time, while everything is getting louder, he knows how to keep the time steady instead of speeding up like other drummers do.

Weezer:

I haven't heard much of weezer, because they really have no gained my interest. From what I can gain, their drums are mundane and uninteresting, because it's the standard: 4/4 down beat stuff.

Pearl Jam:

I suppose their drummer was good for the music he was playing, he never did anything creative, he was just a good time keeper. As for good main stream drummers for the 90's; Dave Grohl was an awesome dynamical drummer. The Guns n' Roses drummer knew how to impliment rudiments with kit drummer (which I love to do).

Rage Against the Machine:

He knows how to groove and man does he groove well. Although his drum beats have little variation, he drives the songs along. He doesn't have to be over zealous because the bass is doing most of the "ear candy".

Smashing Pumpkins:

Never really listened to them much, but from what I have heard he was a very good drummer.

Green Day:

...Um...Nah

• Members

Originally posted by limelightyyz

ok being vauge doesnt work here.... Chris Cornell doesnt play drums, he sings! he sang for soundgarden which coinsidentally is the band matt cameron played drums for first.

he also plays guitar, but then again, who doesnt these days?

Chris Cornell was a drummer before singing in Soundgarden. That explains why his songs have a very rhythmic sense. He even used to play drums in his demo songs (for example, the first ones he wrote for the Temple of the Dog album).

• Members

You're right that he did start playing drums, but he was never anything incredibly special. He also gave up drums as soon as the band started to take off so he could focus more on his singing; thus since singing is his first priority, I think its safe to say he's a singer not really a drummer.

• Members

Originally posted by limelightyyz

ok being vauge doesnt work here.... Chris Cornell doesnt play drums, he sings! he sang for soundgarden which coinsidentally is the band matt cameron played drums for first.

he also plays guitar, but then again, who doesnt these days?

Oops, typo. Quite a gaff for a big Soundgarden fan. :D:o

• Members

I believe Matt Chamberlain was the drummer on the "Ten" record from Pearl Jam. Dave was brought in after. He can also be seen in the "Alive" video.

Matt is one of the best behind the scenes drummers. He's done Alanis, Fiona Apple, Edie Brickell, and Tori Amos, to name a few that I am familiar with.

Matt Cameron is also a great player but I am a much bigger fan of Soundgarden.

Jimmy Chamberlain was the only saving grace for the smashing pumpkins. Agree on the dislike of his voice. There was another guy (from sonic youth?) before Kenny Aronoff stepped in.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I think that those of you that underrate Phil Selway's drumming for Radiohead are real drumming stereotypes - the majority of modern drumming has become a mere collection of soulless beats. Selway's kit is heard as one instrument, as apposed to each drum ending up sounding individual. He has a unique recording sound that makes you feel like your in the room. He plays with the band to create a sound that is so fresh to hear, and the fact that he doesn't stand out to you as a drummer is purely because you're only listening to the drums, and not the sound of the band as a whole. ANY drummer can stand out and play fast, complex linear blasts. So how is this impressive? Sure it can sound "pleasurable" to the ears live, but when it comes down to it, there's nothing new to hear. Take away the fine tweaking and your left with a mess, and as far as bands come - lyrically - i think weezer and greenday are a pair of fukin clown shoes.

• Members

Selway? Listen to Reckoner, 'nuff said. He's a perfectly fine drummer, and without him being a big enough man to lose the ego and play a simple beat, Radiohead would never work. Thom, Johnny, Ed and Collin need a solid foundation to lay their work over. And Radiohead has got to be one of the greatest bands ever. Some of you guys should FEEL music instead of hearing it.

Brad Wilk (RATM) is underrated amongst the "pocket drummer" scene. Evil Empire is loaded with some of the most solid, tasty, crunchy grooving i've ever heard. That, combined with the way he and Tim's bass lock together, makes that album a must have IMO for any bass player and drummer.

Pearl Jam have consistantly had great drummers, all of which were creative and unique in their own right. All of whom were way the {censored} better than Dave Grohl (pfft).

Train In Vain is one of my favorite drum tunes, and the snare delay/echo on This Is Radio Clash gets my rocks off every time, a very tasty beat as well.

• Members

Lots of 90's bands!

radiohead - Don't listen to them, kind of boring.

weezer - Simple drummer, playful, the band went downhill though.

pearl jam - Dave Abruzzese was great, didn't get into the guy/era after him, Matt Cameron is awesome, but I haven't been a big PJ guy since the mid 90's.

rage against the machine - Drummer is a monster, great grooves, great sound, but their later stuff seemed to get monotonous. Cool work with Audioslave though.

the smashing pumpkins - Jimmy Chamberlain is a great drummer, but Smashing Pumpkins was really hit and miss. The good songs were amazing but a lot of the CD's sounded like filler to me.

green day - Tre Cool was solid and fun, band put out a couple great CD's in the 90's, then that awful disc with the acoustic song on it, and after that I really didn't care what they did. New stuff is too political and polished and lacks the energy of the early stuff.

the clash - Never got into them.

• Members

Radiohead- Too boring- doesn't do anything for me. No comment.

Weezer- Meh... I'm not into the "It's cool to be a geek" thing.

Pearl Jam- did some amazing things in the 90's. Haven't heard anything I liked from them in quite a long time. I really did like Dave Abruzze's drumming, especially the song "Animal". I still think Eddie Vedder was a huge douchebag for kicking Abruzze out of the band. Plus, he's a douchebag Cubs fan. That's three strikes against him.

Rage- they're okay. Nothing special, but the drummer put down some okay grooves I guess. They had a couple fleeting moments of good music but overall I can't take more than a few minutes of their stuff.

Smashing Pumpkins- loved their early stuff. Chamberlain's style was unique and fit the band's music perfectly. High energy and a great groove.

Green Day- Never got into them that much until their last album "American Idiot". Extreme militant self serving ignorant left wing political bull{censored} themes aside, musically it was their only album I thought was worth a {censored}. I'm not a big fan of the punk stuff but I do respect the physical endurance and stamina it takes to play long sets (lots of 16th's on the ride and hihat for a couple hours straight will burn the hell out of the arms of even the most in shape and athletic drummers)

The Clash- meh- I just didn't care for their stuff. I've just never been into the sloppy raw unpolished stuff. I respect the influence that it had on other bands down the road, but personally I'd never seek to listen to it voluntarily.

Archived