Everyone read, I need your words of wisdom ....

DrummerSloth

• Members

I've been drumming for around a year and a few months now, and for the past few months I've grown EXTREMELY bored with drums. I also play guitar somewhat, but I'm primarily a drummer. I enjoy playing guitar, but my band needs me as a drummer. I love to play drums when I'm playing with my band, but I can only stand to practice at home for a span of a few minutes.

my drums are of poor quality, and I don't really have the funds to getting something new. I had been taking drum lessons for the past few months, but I gave that up about a month ago. For the sake of my band, I want to continue on, but I don't know what to do, I just need some motivation to succeed or something to increase my desire.

This is {censored}ing frustrating .... :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Members

I'd be willing to bet that either your bass player sucks or someone else in your band sucks, or the type of music you're playing is repetetive stuff. {censored}ty bass players especially make things difficult.

The only thing I could suggest is playing a good well tuned kit (makes a difference when those sounds are coming back to you sounding so sweet) or finding others to jam with, possibly a change of style...?

Warren

• Members

Hang out at Guitar Center or a local music shop and try the sets out. But be careful, cause if you catch someone there thats better than you, you feel like you don't know {censored} on drums (happens to me all the time.) So hang out with a sucky drummer and you'll fell like your better than you are.

• Members

I am a guitar player of 13 years turned drummer. I have been taking drum lessons for about 6 months now. Every time I get sick of the drum pad or sick of working on 4 way independence on the kit and just want to stop practicing and actually play I pop in a RUSH cd and listen for a min. Then once I realize how much I actually suck I go back to the pad.

• Members

A good idea is to listen to songs you like, and imagine what he's doing in your head. Think of what he's hitting and when. Do a little "air-drum" as best you can to the song. Do this enough and you'll find probably a lot of songs that sound really good that you can actually play. This is a big confidence booster

• Members

Hmmmmph. Sounds like you need something to get you motivated to practice. You get bored when you play; and you stopped taking drum lessons.

Your problem might be patience??? I've heard 'practice to cds/buy (this drummers) tapes', but if you're impatient, you'll probably throw your hands up and just go back to the guitar. And thinking that you want to get better and play for your band can't help any. Personally I think you should go back to drum lessons. You won't see results right away; but thats not the point. The point is that it will teach you things you wouldn't have thought of on your own, and over a length of time will make you better and better. I've never heard of someone getting worse from taking lessons -- what do you have to lose?

Even if you don't take lessons again, I think you just have to be more patient.

• Members

Sounds to me like you need to make your practice time more fun. Spend some time and play music you truly enjoy. Then spend some time playing to music that is a little beyond your current ability. Push yourself a little. Set goals to learn a particular pattern or fill or song or whatever then achieve it.

Having a specific goal can focus your practice and make it less boring. There is a certain amount of tediousness to practice the same thing over and over but if you mix that with something that is fun to play for you that should make life a lot better.

• Members

i think thats a phase most people go through. its just u loose intrest and stuff, if u have ahigh speed internet connection i suggest downloading some video solos. or go down to your local samash or music chain or local music shops, look at the stuff, alot of times they plkat drum solo videos and videos of concerts and stuff, once u see that stuff ull get into it. me ive been real busy and stuff and have been going through the same phase. i havent played my drums for more then 5 minutes at a time (usualy less then 2-3 times a week). so i really like drums would liuke to keep playing but i dont know how to do it. like i said im real busy with school and friends and work, so its so hard to find quality time to sit down and play and enjoy and appreciate the music. but im gonna try. im gonna try very very hard.

• Members

Originally posted by HulkBlood01

Hmmmmph. Sounds like you need something to get you motivated to practice. You get bored when you play; and you stopped taking drum lessons.

Your problem might be patience??? I've heard 'practice to cds/buy (this drummers) tapes', but if you're impatient, you'll probably throw your hands up and just go back to the guitar. And thinking that you want to get better and play for your band can't help any. Personally I think you should go back to drum lessons. You won't see results right away; but thats not the point. The point is that it will teach you things you wouldn't have thought of on your own, and over a length of time will make you better and better. I've never heard of someone getting
worse
from taking lessons -- what do you have to lose?

Even if you don't take lessons again, I think you just have to be more patient.

I agree with Hulk here. By taking lessons your motivation and continuity will probably increase. Perhaps the drumteacher you had wasn't the right one for you. Find someone who teaches exactly the stuff you want to learn... and more. Just try a few and choose the one you think is best for you.

• Members

It's probably the other players in your band. Try ad find some other musicians or friends who play in a different style or who don't play the same {censored} over and over again. A change of tune is often a good motivator (i experience it every day)

• Members

holy {censored}!? you pay 15 bucks a lesson?! man...you need to move to a small town like i do. i pay only 8 bucks a lesson. buuuut, my sister lives in LA and she said cheap lessons there are like 25 bucks a pop. so i guess yrou kinda in the middle of the road. but still. it seems like a lot (to me)...aaannndd about yrou drumming query. just dont play for a few days. if you wait a few days, you be like "man! these drums sound awesome" then just keep playing 'til your drum buzz dies down. also, wear earplugs, they will make your drums sound BIG and you wont care if your cymbals sound like plastic/tin aloy. yep...

Archived