Started on marching snare in 76'

Got first decent kit, a 4pc Rodgers, in 80'

Sold my kit and took a 10yr hiatus in 91'

only playing occasionally at jams and such

Bought a Bass guitar in 99' and hacked around

on it for 2yrs.

Bought a brand new set of Exports in May of 01'

and after 4 months of shaking off the rust

joined the band that I'm currently with :)

• Members

Originally posted by elimin8r

started 3 and a half years ago
:)

btw for the more experience drummers, how many years would you say
most
drummers would take to start breaking down their independence and actually get real good
:p

There's two problems with this question:

1. Natural Ability

Some people just have aa natural gift. I know guitarists who have struggled for years and constantly work at playing, and then I know this idiot who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, but he's one of the most smoking guitar players you've ever heard - which means, he's got "the gift".

2. Determination

A lot of drumming depends upon how much you practice. How much time do you work on your hands? Your feet? I became a very good player quickly, and when I was 17 I was playing in a band with guys 10 years older than I was....BUT, I had put in a lot of time practicing.

I tend to be more of a "feel" player, over a "timing" player. Some guys have "perfect" timing, and they come acros sounding like a metronome....and some guys have what one of my friends defined as "perfect feeling"....these are the players that can "groove". I have always worked on my timing trying to make it as perfect as I could, and in one band I was in, I had a metronome mounted on one of my kicks so that I could watch it to make sure I was in time....and My bass player (who I still play with after 10 years) was like, "Throw that damn thing away and just play man...when you start watching the time, that's when it starts losing the pulse...if we wanted a drum machine, we'd just use one...we want you to play how YOU play...you make it groove, and that's what sets us apart from these other bands."

So, that made me feel good.

His big analogy was that the Beatles were out of time all over the place, but they were out of time TOGETHER, so that the music moved...you know, it would speed up on the choruses a little bit, and slow down on the verses.

So as long as your time keeping is avaerage (in the sense that you keep an average time...that is, unless you're playing to a click...I can do it, but it' definitely still a bit stiff sounding when I do.)

To me, aside from natural ability, it is all going to depend upon how much you put into it.

I'll still sit around with a pair of sticks, just tapping on my leg or something like that, and it drives everyone nuts.:D

For example, let's say I'm going to learn a cover song:

I just air drum to it a few times...and my brother laughs about this.. he goes "what are you doing? practicing?" (with a smirk on his face) Why do I need to get on the set to learn it? I know what the guy is doing, so I just need to memorize the parts and fills, and then I can replicate them on the kit.

So, as part of my practice routine, learn at least 4 new songs a

week doing it this way....and after doing this for almost 20 years...I have quite a backlog of songs tht I can pull out almost immediately.

Also, another thing...is learning/acquiring tasteful licks/fills and knowing when/where to use them in the song.

A lot of my friends over the years have compared me to Bonham...but to be honest, I really don't play like Bonham...Sure, I normally tune my kit like his, and he was a big influence on me as far as those types of things go...but to me, I don't "sound" like Bonham.

Listen for yourself.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2339&alid=-1

Tim

• Members

I got my first kit when I was around 19, and have been through 5 kits since. I am 31 now, and probably have collectively 3 years of playing behind me. I have never really played on a regular basis, I am a piano player as well. I have played drums probably 6 times in the last year or so, just don't have a good place to keep them set up!!

I mostly play to record.

Warren

• Members

I have been playing since I was 13, and I am 22 now. I took about a year off in which I played intermitantly every few weeks or months and I found out that not playing music was making me depressed (in addition to a few other things). So I got a rehearsal space and in the past year I have been practicing my ass off and it has paid off. I am in 2 bands now, and really happy playing music.

:D

• Members

I think Fafnir777's answer was pretty spot on.

I mean, think of it like learning to use a computer. Some people just take to it naturally, and are up in running in no time. Others struggle to just learn how to move around the keyboard.

I also think that practicing by yourself and being in a band are two completely different processes. I've seen guys who could just smoke a set when playing on their own, but when they played with other people they just didn't sound as good.

That's why I generally encourage every young player to start playing with other people on their level (or even higher) as soon as they can if they have the want to play live music.

The sooner you learn how to listen and play off of other players, as well as how to keep time for a group, the better off you'll be. To say nothing of learning the dynamics of not only drums but music in general. Those are things that you can't really learn on your own.

-bruce

• Members

I started playing in 1965, influenced of course by the BEATLES and Ringo. My first kit was a used Rogers, blue sparkle which I kept about a year, then traded for a new set of red sparkle Pearls (Just coming to the U S at that time) I sopld those in 1972 to pay for my daughter's birth. I took up playing again in 1979 and bought a set of Ludwig Classics in blue sparkle, two 12s a 16 and a 22 bass. I traded those in 1980 for a set of Premiers. I stopped playing again in 1982 due to a job transfer. I started again in 1997 and went from no drum kits to 7! ( 2 Slingerland, Premiers, Fibes, Tama, Ludwig Vista-lites, and a set of Gretcsh. I have also bought and sold probably another 5 or 6 kits in that time period.n (I Just LOVE drums)

Now I am getting antsy to sell a few kits and maybe just keep the Fibes and the Tama's.

I have been influenced by Shelly Manne, Keith Moon, ( I met him in 1967) and Kenny Aranoff ( I met him last year)

Drumming seems to be something that gets in you blood, and you never "really" quit playing.

To the new players, hang in there and practice...but above all play and have fun!

• Members

I agree with the "you never really stop playing" comment. Even at times when I've gone without real practices for weeks, or even months, I still just jam out some beats on a desk at school, on my homework, on the floor near the computer, etc. I actually think it's essential to the progression of skill of any drummer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had my first lesson when I was 12, but I hacked along though highschool, teaching myself all the way till my senior year and finally took REAL lessons. Then I went to music school and was blown away. I only regret that I should have pushed myself harder. After college i got a job in computer networks and set my drums aside (can't play in an apartment). then 5 years later, i joined a band, and since then, i've had to retrain myself in what i knew. I'm still regaining my chops, and soon to be at the peak of my game only gettting better as i go along.

• Members

Started playing when I was 13, played off and on since then. Didn't play at all for a period of 5 years. Got back into it about ten years ago, but only really serious for the last five. Had to go back and learn what I should have years ago and build on the previous (flawed) foundation that I had achieved. When I was young and stupid, I was more interested in being a drummer, than I was in playing the drums I guess.....

I'd say the AVERAGE drummer could get good at independence in 3 to 5 years, but that's very variable; it all comes together through hours and hours and more hours of practice. Someone who was naturally gifted would probably shave time of that, just as someone who's not naturally rhythmic or coordinated could take many years to achieve that level, if ever.

Archived