Batter head for 20" bass?

TamaSuperstar

• Members

Well, I have a great kit that I love the sound of. I absolutely love the bass, but I can tell that there is even more potential locked away and I know that the problem is definitely the batter head. I play in a kind of melodic rock (think bands like suede, the strokes, and the smiths) just wondering what head you would suggest for my 16x20 bass. Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by TamaSuperstar

Well, I have a great kit that I love the sound of. I absolutely love the bass, but I can tell that there is even more potential locked away and I know that the problem is definitely the batter head. I play in a kind of melodic rock (think bands like suede, the strokes, and the smiths) just wondering what head you would suggest for my 16x20 bass. Thanks

I use a clear REMO PowerStroke3 for the BD batter,,, but,, it's up to you,,,maybe you'd like the FiberSkyn PowerStroke3? YES?:D

• Members

Originally posted by Nick

I use a FiberSkyn PowerStroke3. I just bought it, so I'm still tampering with the tunings...I'll get back to you in a couple days about how it sounds.

I recently installed them on my 28" RadioKing....I use them on it,, front and back... I LIKE it.....:eek:

:D

• Members

Like Moo-Man said,

Aquarian Super Kick. the single ply "I" will give you a more bigger, and singing bass tone, while the single plied, extra muffled "II" has a deader yet punchier feel, similar to the Remo Powerstroke 3.

speaking of the EMAD, on my 18x16 bass, i have a Evans EMAD that sounds acceptable, and similar to the SKI. having the two mufflers, allows me to get a SKI like feel, or swap out for the larger muffling ring, for a more SKII/P3 like feel.

but bottom line, i'd rather have my SKI. the EMAD doesnt quite get the bigger than life tone, i can get from the SKI.

keep in mind, there's no pillows, or inner muffling of any sort. its all on the heads. IMHO, the pillows kill to much of the singing, bigger than life tone you can get from a bass drum.

also, i like having both heads tuned the same pitch for that singing bass / gong like tone. and, i'm a fan of hole-less resoheads.

with the reso side all closed up, you get a more singing bass tone. like a "DD-uuuuung" vs. the "DD-ushh" you get with the hole. and having them tuned the same, lets the sympathetic freq's resonant against each other for a larger than life sound.

also, having muffling on the reso side is ok to kill some overtones, but it makes the bass sound too dead to me. i like just a plain ebony or coated single ply head. think of it like a large low low low tuned tom.

if the reso side is closed, it helps if you play with your beater, off of the bass to allows the heads to ring out without interruption. if you play with the beater buried in the head, then a hole is a must, or you'll get some weird beater chatter. besides, there's not much resonating with the hole, so its all good.

• Members

its when you press down on your bass drum pedal, and the beater of the pedal bounces unevenly against the bass drumhead, rather than directly slamming against the drumhead for an even "boom". i.e. sounds like a "chattering" effect.

so instead of a "D-uugh", its sounds like "D-dddd-uugh".

• Members

Originally posted by unicorn princess

while we're on the subject, off all these drumheads listed, what is the life expectency of them?

I've had the PowerStroke3 and Fiberskyn reso heads on my Slingerland BD for as long as I've had them,, about 5 years... they still sound good, and tune perfectly,,, I guess it depends on how heavy footed you play... I have see guys put the beater thru a fairly new head,, but,, that's not me... :eek:

:D

Archived