Sonor Force 2001 - Opinions?

Harlock

• Members

I'm thinking seriously about getting a Sonor Force 2001 as my first drum set that I'll (probably) be doing some live performances with once I'm good enough and my drums have been upgraded a little bit.

So what do you think? I can get the kit for $649.99 on www.midwestpercussion.com (though the link is musiciansfriend) and I've heard pretty good reviews.

Just looking for some opinions.

Linkage

• Members

Sometimes "quality" is not always better for live kits anyhow. your gig kit will get beat, bruised, kicked, spilled on, and thrown. you sure don't want to do that to a "good" kit. Second, if you are micing the kit you would be suprised how many "crap" kits sound just as good or better than so called "good" drums. I often find when mixing live the less resonant drums sound the best through pa. Finally the so called "name" brands out there were not always so. they were made by STARS. Ringo made Ludwig, Peter Criss made Pearl (cheap Jap drums they were called in the 70's before he started endorsing). If the kit sounds ok then it is ok.

• Members

I am very happy with mine so far. I have had them for 2 years and they are holding up well. The hardware that come standrad with the Force series is not the best so if you can buy shells and hardware seperately I would recommend that. I have gotten many comments from other drummers/muscians that they sound very good for an entry level kit. You can check out pics of my set in the thread with similar title. Just do a search with my name. I really like the baby blue color.

I'm guessing the difference in series is more plys, or wood? I'm sure sonor.de has the info. Like it was mentioned before, if they are your gig kit they will be exposed to potential harm, but if the price difference isn't too huge maybe you should go for it. When I bought mine, there was a bigger difference in price between the two series then now. Mars sold them, so I would have recommended you go there to check them out but I think they have gone out of business, so try and find a dealer where you cna hear them both.

• Members

Sonor Force 2001

Tom's 6ply mahogany

Bass drum 9ply maple/basswood/basswood

Wax finishes, 16 lug BD, 8 lug snate

Sonor Force 3001

Tom's & BD 9ply maple/basswood/basswood

Lacquer finishes (more colors), Hardware upgraded 400 series, cross laminated shells, 20 lug BD, 10 lug snare(I think)

Archived