What's your favorite snare head?

WorshipMetallica

• Members

I really like the Aquarian satin and also the Texture Coated with the Power Dot on the underneath side (single ply med) . Great heads the satin is comparable to a ambassador but in my mind better. The coating last's a lot longer and they sound better imho

(don't get me wrong the amb. is a great head I used them for years)

• Members

Originally posted by Nagi

I really like the Aquarian satin and also the Texture Coated with the Power Dot on the underneath side (single ply med) . Great heads the satin is comparable to a ambassador but in my mind better. The coating last's a lot longer and they sound better imho

(don't get me wrong the amb. is a great head I used them for years)

i agree, aquarian heads definately last longer than remo.

• Members

Powerstroke 4 is a 2ply head, PS3 is a 1ply head, I think thats the only differance.. But the PS4 does seem to be darker around the edges like a muffle ring inside the head, but Im not sure.. But I love the PS4, wont dent easily, and still sounds good :)

• Members

Having used nearly every double ply head, Remo Falams K series kevlar heads are the only ones that last more than 2 gigs.( I tune tight and hit hard) Expensive, but a worthy investment.

Not for Jazz though.

• Members

Originally posted by pjb

Having used nearly every double ply head, Remo Falams K series kevlar heads are the only ones that last more than 2 gigs.( I tune tight and hit hard) Expensive, but a worthy investment.

Not for Jazz though.

See, I've never even dented a head (except when I'm having a fit) and I play Ambassadors. Am I doing something wrong?

• Members

Yeah, you're all screwed up! Try playing with screwdrivers, that'll dent things up nicely.

Actually a tightly tuned single ply head can be pretty tough to dent if depending on how you play. If your stroke is pretty perpendicular to the head (i.e. flat drum, straight up and down hits) you won't dent a head as much as you would if you're coming in from an angle.

You REALLY want to dent a head? Take a single ply head, tune it loose, and put your drums at a severe angle facing toward you. Dent city, baby!

Last time I changed my snare head, there were no dents, but when all of the tension was taken off the head, there was a nice even 1/2" deep "bowl" in the middle of the head. I guess you could call something like that a dent.

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

See, I've never even dented a head (except when I'm having a fit) and I play Ambassadors. Am I doing something wrong?

You must hit lighter than me. I love to hit hard. emperor heads are no good for me, or pinstripes, because they sag in the centre then break. single ply, forget it.

Archived