Custom fit earplugs: who here uses them?

Mofishes

• Members

Hey guys,

I just dropped $185 CDN (ouch!!) on custom molded earplugs that have a 9dB flat reduction (ER-9 filter). I've just "installed" them here at the office and they seems comfortable. I figure it a wise investment for the future. Anybody here have any experience with these things?

• Members

I know many people that swear by them. I'm looking into getting a pair soon. Till then I use the HEAROS HI-FI ($14USD). They work the same (-12db) and do not muffle the sound at all. A good substitue for $100 (USD) custom jobs.

• Members

I wish I could afford them, but I don't use custom fit earplugs. But I do use earplugs when I practice.

Mine are similar to these:

earplugs-blue-orange.jpg

They are very inexpensive and work well enough for me (10dB reduction I think). Unfortunately, they reduce all frequencies (because they're cheap), so I can't wear them while playing in a band situation - can't hear the other guys enough.

• Members

Only pansies wear earplugs;)

I used to have a $10 pair I got from my drum store but I lost them. They came in several different sizes you could choose from to fit your outer ear. They had a small vent hole to allow most frequencies in but still cutting the highs. I liked them but since I lost them I've been using ones similar to what Snake mentioned or just plain old kleenex wadded up.

• Members

Originally posted by Mofishes

Well I'm looking forward to gigging with them. I guess I can also purchase a -15dB filter for them as well. Do you find that the -12 is just right. What type of music do you play?

Yes. -12 works pretty well for me. The good thing about custom plugs and the HEAROS is that they both filter the db's, but do not muffle the sound so you can hear high's & lows clearly. I wear mine all the time at gigs and to see other bands play. I can now go to bed w/o my ears ringing.

btw: i play alt/rock its pretty loud at times, but i can hear well even at low volumes with the plus in.

• Members

I am planning to get custom fitted plugs, currently I use foamies that cut out 30 db's (and I can still really hear a lot of the stuff that happens - I put them in ALL the way). I also use the metrophones isolation phones (studio kans) that cut out a rated 29dbs. Custom fit plugs will cut out more stuff, and better, because they are fit specially to your ear. I'd like to get more than 30db isolation!

Archived