quiet drum sticks?

sumpm1

• Members

Are there any special sticks that are made to be quiet for quiet practicing. It seems more practical to have sponge covers for the drum sticks than it does to have sponge mufflers to throw over every single drum. I know that they have some soft covers to put over your kick drum beater. I saw the Pro Mark Cool Rod Specialty Sticks that are made for lower volume playing, but were not specifically designed to be quiet for practicing, and are also very expensive as far as sticks go.

They sould sell some lighter drum sticks, or possibly regular weight sticks that have a foam cover on the ending that would make your drumming much quieter for practicing during quiet hours. Or they could sell a slip on cover for the end of regular sticks.

Tell me what you guys think.

• Members

Now that I mentioned that there are soft foam or sponge covers for kick pedal beaters, I can't find but one on the market. I swear that I saw these around for years in the Musician's Friend catalogs. hmmmm... Someone tell me that I am not going mad.

• Members

Originally posted by sumpm1

Are there any special sticks that are made to be quiet for quiet practicing. It seems more practical to have sponge covers for the drum sticks than it does to have sponge mufflers to throw over every single drum.

AMEN!!!

Why the hell hasn't anyone else thought of this?

• Members

Originally posted by drummerforsale

AMEN!!!

Why the hell hasn't anyone else thought of this?

Well because if any of the drum companies marketed them, you'd just end up buying 2 foam covers for your sticks rather than covers for all of your drums and that means less $$$ for them.

• Members

Those just wuldnt exist......this you are hitting seomthing and most probably at high speeds and when you hit something at high speeds it makes a sound even mroe so with drums lol. There are brushes and cool rods etc but theres no sticks where you can hit a drum with and have no sound unless you air drum. I thnk tama made silent tips or seomthing because it was int here catalogue, you could try looking for them or seomthing.

• Members

Originally posted by sumpm1

I found those Tama Silent tips. I'll give them a try. It doesn't seem like a little rubber is gonna do much dampening on a drum. Maybe it will be the noise down a little further if you are using head mufflers with them.

Those are intended for you to be able to use your regular sticks on a non-practice pad surface (for instance, a coffee table or whatever). Not for reducing sound on a drumset.

• 3 years later...
  • Members
Are there any special sticks that are made to be quiet for quiet practicing. It seems more practical to have sponge covers for the drum sticks than it does to have sponge mufflers to throw over every single drum. I know that they have some soft covers to put over your kick drum beater. I saw the
that are made for lower volume playing, but were not specifically designed to be quiet for practicing, and are also very expensive as far as sticks go.

They sould sell some lighter drum sticks, or possibly regular weight sticks that have a foam cover on the ending that would make your drumming much quieter for practicing during quiet hours. Or they could sell a slip on cover for the end of regular sticks.

Tell me what you guys think.

New product coming out soon or is recently out, that's pretty much like you describe..way quieter than anything on market to my knowledge. Let me know if you want info - send private request, cuz I don't want to clutter with ads.

• Members

Pro Mark rods are crap...

Try the Regal Tip Thai sticks

I haven't seen Thai Sticks in years. They're prolly 60.00 a pair by now, or more. But I bet you'd think you sounded great while playin' them.

Drugs....... drugs..... my mind always reverts to drugs. Or chicks.............. Or drugs and chicks.:rolleyes:

Sorry, yea quieter sticks. Can't help ya there.:confused:

• Members

I haven't seen Thai Sticks in years. They're prolly 60.00 a pair by now, or more. But I bet you'd think you sounded great while playin' them.

Drugs....... drugs..... my mind always reverts to drugs. Or chicks.............. Or drugs and chicks.
:rolleyes:

Sorry, yea quieter sticks. Can't help ya there.
:confused:

At least you remember something, Marko. :p

• Members

I would imagine anything on the end of your stick that would quiet your playing on drums enough to make a difference...would also mean poor stick response.

BTW, I tried those quiet pads on my drums once...they worked but also left little black bits of rubber everywhere. It looked like my kit was being attacked by ants.

Archived