Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quiet drum sticks?

Are there any special sticks that are made to be quiet for quiet practicing. It seems more practical to have sponge covers for the drum sticks than it does to have sponge mufflers to throw over every single drum. I know that they have some soft covers to put over your kick drum beater. I saw the Pro Mark Cool Rod Specialty Sticks that are made for lower volume playing, but were not specifically designed to be quiet for practicing, and are also very expensive as far as sticks go.

They sould sell some lighter drum sticks, or possibly regular weight sticks that have a foam cover on the ending that would make your drumming much quieter for practicing during quiet hours. Or they could sell a slip on cover for the end of regular sticks.

Tell me what you guys think.

Now that I mentioned that there are soft foam or sponge covers for kick pedal beaters, I can't find but one on the market. I swear that I saw these around for years in the Musician's Friend catalogs. hmmmm... Someone tell me that I am not going mad.

Comment

Originally posted by sumpm1
      Are there any special sticks that are made to be quiet for quiet practicing. It seems more practical to have sponge covers for the drum sticks than it does to have sponge mufflers to throw over every single drum.

AMEN!!!
      Why the hell hasn't anyone else thought of this?
      "drumsticks can also be chicken"

www.thewickedorange.tk

Comment

Originally posted by drummerforsale

AMEN!!!
        Why the hell hasn't anyone else thought of this?

Well because if any of the drum companies marketed them, you'd just end up buying 2 foam covers for your sticks rather than covers for all of your drums and that means less $$$ for them.
        Dark Slide: Resident ****************************

My Heel-Toe Thread

I may not go down in history... but I'll go down on your sister!

Comment

Those just wuldnt exist......this you are hitting seomthing and most probably at high speeds and when you hit something at high speeds it makes a sound even mroe so with drums lol. There are brushes and cool rods etc but theres no sticks where you can hit a drum with and have no sound unless you air drum. I thnk tama made silent tips or seomthing because it was int here catalogue, you could try looking for them or seomthing.
          Drums:Tama
          Cymbals:Paiste
          Hardware:Gibraltar and Tama
          Pedal:Iron Cobra (Twin)
          Sticks:Pro Mark

www.drum-tech.co.uk

Comment

Pro Mark rods are crap...

Try the Regal Tip Thai sticks
            http://www.nickmason.org

Comment

tama makes these things called like silent tips i think and you put them on the tip of your sticks and it is rubber and it is supposed to make you play quieter
              my band: Crash Plastic

Comment

I found those Tama Silent tips. I'll give them a try. It doesn't seem like a little rubber is gonna do much dampening on a drum. Maybe it will be the noise down a little further if you are using head mufflers with them.

Comment

Originally posted by sumpm1
                  I found those Tama Silent tips. I'll give them a try. It doesn't seem like a little rubber is gonna do much dampening on a drum. Maybe it will be the noise down a little further if you are using head mufflers with them.

Those are intended for you to be able to use your regular sticks on a non-practice pad surface (for instance, a coffee table or whatever). Not for reducing sound on a drumset.

Comment

a drummer i know is using vic firth peter erskine sticks for small group jazz gigs... they're light and have small tips, much much quieter...
                    good lord i feel like i'm dyin'....

(then i did...)

"Duke" John Clarity, 1982-2004

"this is rock and roll"

Comment

Are there any special sticks that are made to be quiet for quiet practicing. It seems more practical to have sponge covers for the drum sticks than it does to have sponge mufflers to throw over every single drum. I know that they have some soft covers to put over your kick drum beater. I saw the Pro Mark Cool Rod Specialty Sticks that are made for lower volume playing, but were not specifically designed to be quiet for practicing, and are also very expensive as far as sticks go.

They sould sell some lighter drum sticks, or possibly regular weight sticks that have a foam cover on the ending that would make your drumming much quieter for practicing during quiet hours. Or they could sell a slip on cover for the end of regular sticks.

Tell me what you guys think.

New product coming out soon or is recently out, that's pretty much like you describe..way quieter than anything on market to my knowledge. Let me know if you want info - send private request, cuz I don't want to clutter with ads.

Comment

Post in the spam section up top.

Comment

Pro Mark rods are crap...

Try the Regal Tip Thai sticks

I haven't seen Thai Sticks in years. They're prolly 60.00 a pair by now, or more. But I bet you'd think you sounded great while playin' them.

Drugs....... drugs..... my mind always reverts to drugs. Or chicks.............. Or drugs and chicks.

Sorry, yea quieter sticks. Can't help ya there.
                          "Charter Member of the G.G."
                          "
                          "Flaming Pedals of Doom Squadron"

Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, but Faith looks up!!

Great Sellers / Buyers: John Flynn; rayboomboom; vinniewannabe; mparsons; robbierobnj06; ibzprestige; Carmine; lossforgain; (X6 (El Seisito!)) ; rdcalab; zildjian@consol; Sub_Meter

www.myspace.com/moe4607
                          http://www.myspace.com/docdaltonandthehealing

Wish we had some Cheese- 11/2008

Comment

I haven't seen Thai Sticks in years. They're prolly 60.00 a pair by now, or more. But I bet you'd think you sounded great while playin' them.

Drugs....... drugs..... my mind always reverts to drugs. Or chicks.............. Or drugs and chicks.

Sorry, yea quieter sticks. Can't help ya there.

At least you remember something, Marko.
                            Originally posted by marko46:"Thoose 70's Avedis sound no where like poop. I've heard poop, not even similar."Originally posted by marko46:"I've seen some **************** on here, read some **************** on here, even been a part of some **************** on here, but that's some **************** there."Originally posted by Buddy Rich:"Be on time, wear a clean shirt, and swing your ass off."

Comment

I've been using Lighting Rods. I'll probably buy more.

c h e e s e

Originally Posted by Captain Murphy

I dub thee, Sir Phobos. Knight of Mars, beater of ass!

Comment

Working...
                              X