Drum set for 10 year-old son

gelewis

• Members

My 10 year-old has begun playing percussion in school, and wants a drum set for Christmas. In my search for rerasonably priced beginner sets, I've run across the Tama Stagestar and Pearl Rythm Traveler. But being a guitar player and knowing nothing about drums, I have questions.

1. Is one of these sets better than the other?

2. Are there other sets in this price range that you think are a better buy for a beginner.

3. If I buy a one of these sets (or another set in this price range) will I be sorry later that I didn't by a better set? If so, what would you recommend.

• Members

Great questions. As a new drummer, and a guitar player, I feel qualified to answer this.

As you know already, as a guitar player, the old addage comes in: Buy nice or buy twice. It applies here as well. I really like Sonor, and the 3003 series is sweet. It is a maple/basswood ply shell that is just awesome. A set could be had new, shipped for around $800. The extra $300 youi spend on this set will be well worth it. Plus, it won't hurt the re-sale if he bails. If you buy a $500 or cheaper set, he loses interest, and guess what? That set is now worth maybe $150. The SOnor I mentioned will still be worth $300-500, depending......by the way, Tama, Pearl, etc, all make great sets in the under $1k mark. I just prefer Sonor, as the features and construction are better, IMO. (10 lug bassdrums don't hurt, either)

Good luck!

• Members

don't forget about cymbals. i'd suggest deciding on a budget, then pick cymbals and then drums. bad cymbals allways sound bad, cheap drums can be made to sound better after a head change. if you can get to a store, try out cymbals for sure and drums if they have them. don't know much about paiste but it seems like maybe more people like sabians starter cymbals than zildjian. for drums look at all the brands and features. pacific seems to be a pretty good choice in the lower price range. anyways good luck, and keep asking question if need be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's my suggestion. (Hope it's not too late, Christmas is soon!)

I'd get the Tama Stagestar. It's the kit that I have and I really like it. I'm a guitarist who plays drums on the side by the way. The shells are pretty nice and although they're smaller, sound big and shouldn't have to be replaced unless for a really nice kit.

It comes with cymbals, but they are utter crap, its not like they just don't sound awesome, they're not even usable. I'd suggest getting the Sabian B8 cymbal pack. You'd have to pick up another stand as well.

From musiciansfriend.com you can get his for around:

Stagestar - $390 or close

B8 Cymbal pack - $183

Cymbal stand - $50 about

Total - about $620

Hopefully that fits the budget, that's about the best for the lowest price you can get I believe.

Good luck,

Dustin

• Members

Hey man i was looking through my musicans friend and found something, i seen the pearl kit you were talking about and it didnt look good at all( something about not have bottom heads ewww.) the tama kit looked ok but i found a set of Pulse drums. These drums are lacquer sprayed instead of wrapped which is always better ( no cover to come bubbling off).The kit comes with all the hardware, bass drum pedal, and even a matching wood snare for only 399.99. These drums look like the best bang for buck. Just go to musicansfriend. com and check them out. Damn i just seen this they also come with cymbals, probally not very good but hey its 400 bucks id try it for a newbie.

• Members

Originally posted by Rumor

Here's my suggestion. (Hope it's not too late, Christmas is soon!)

I'd get the Tama Stagestar. It's the kit that I have and I really like it. I'm a guitarist who plays drums on the side by the way. The shells are pretty nice and although they're smaller, sound big and shouldn't have to be replaced unless for a really nice kit.

It comes with cymbals, but they are utter crap, its not like they just don't sound awesome, they're not even usable. I'd suggest getting the Sabian B8 cymbal pack. You'd have to pick up another stand as well.

From musiciansfriend.com you can get his for around:

Stagestar - $390 or close

B8 Cymbal pack - $183

Cymbal stand - $50 about

Total - about $620

Hopefully that fits the budget, that's about the best for the lowest price you can get I believe.

Good luck,

Dustin

What he said - good suggestion.

Wil

• Members

In my opinion, you can get a better value at Steve Weiss Music, because they are blowing some stuff out.

Sonor 2003 (in the bargain basement) - $529 includes hardware

Zildjian ZBT Cymbal Pack (Under Cymbals / Zildjian Packs) - $156 includes hats, ride and crash.

The only thing else you'll need is a throne.

Pearl D70W (Under combo hardware / thrones) $39.95

Total $724.95. Only $100 more then the suggested Stagestar setup, but the Stagestar doesn't compare to the Sonor 2003.

Consider the fact that if your son sticks with drumming, you WILL have to buy him another set at some point. In my opinion, the Sonor 2003 will have enough mileage to make sure that he will buy himself his second kit. You'll have to upgrade the cymbals at some point, but you will be able to do this over time, and not have to shell out $500 at one time.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

Sonor 2003 (in the bargain basement) - $529 includes hardware

Well, it looks like soon after I posted this message, the Sonor 2003s sold out off of their site. The only Sonor blowout left is a Sonor S-Class Shell pack for $1285. Definately not an option for you. Check out the Ludwig Accent CS for $349, which includes hardware and throne. Or the Ludwig Accent CS Custom for $499.

Archived