Well... Been upgrading to get a good sound.

Picker

• Members

I've been trying to upgrade to get a good recorded drum sound....

Sonor Force 3003 6 piece kit.

K-Ride (20" I think)

14" new beat HH.

17" A Custom Crash

1st the snare.

The snare was the only part of the set that had the original heads from Sonor and I really wasnt happy with my snare sound at all. Very ringy and metallic sounding. I grabbed my snare and headed off to GC to see what could be done before investing in a whole new snare drum. Met a great guy/salesman there who helped me alot. After describing what I was looking for, I followed his advice and purchased the following.

Evans Genera batter head.

Remo Ambassador Res head

DW Brass snares --

Being new to drumming, this was actually the first time I ever replaced a drum head. I went online and printed off the pertinant parts of the Drum Tuning Bible and sat down with my new heads... A little while later.... WOW! What a difference. Most (if not all) of the ringy sound was gone and I had the nice tight snare sound that I was looking for :D

That was step one... Yesterday, I bought.

Iron Cobra bass pedal (single) to match my IC HH pedal --- love it.

AKG D112 -- Needed a good kick mic. Hopefully I made the right choice here as I was flying blind. Options were (Audix D-6, ATM25, or this one. Chose the AKG.

Did a 5 minute test last night and the bass sounded pretty good. I'll have more time tomorrow or Monday to give it a real test, but I'm much closer than I was.

• Members

Thanks... that makes me feel better... I know its a standard, but was sorly tempted by the AT25 or the Audix. If I'd had more money to spend I was thinking of the EV RE20 which I hear sounds great on kick, but it's 2 or 3 times the price.

I settled on the AKG and it seems good so far.

The best money spent was the new heads for the snare... I was amazed at how much better it sounds now. :cool:

Archived