Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well... Been upgrading to get a good sound.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well... Been upgrading to get a good sound.

I've been trying to upgrade to get a good recorded drum sound....

Sonor Force 3003 6 piece kit.
    K-Ride (20" I think)
    14" new beat HH.
    17" A Custom Crash

1st the snare.
    The snare was the only part of the set that had the original heads from Sonor and I really wasnt happy with my snare sound at all. Very ringy and metallic sounding. I grabbed my snare and headed off to GC to see what could be done before investing in a whole new snare drum. Met a great guy/salesman there who helped me alot. After describing what I was looking for, I followed his advice and purchased the following.
    Evans Genera batter head.
    Remo Ambassador Res head
    DW Brass snares --

Being new to drumming, this was actually the first time I ever replaced a drum head. I went online and printed off the pertinant parts of the Drum Tuning Bible and sat down with my new heads... A little while later.... WOW! What a difference. Most (if not all) of the ringy sound was gone and I had the nice tight snare sound that I was looking for

That was step one... Yesterday, I bought.
    Iron Cobra bass pedal (single) to match my IC HH pedal --- love it.
    AKG D112 -- Needed a good kick mic. Hopefully I made the right choice here as I was flying blind. Options were (Audix D-6, ATM25, or this one. Chose the AKG.

Did a 5 minute test last night and the bass sounded pretty good. I'll have more time tomorrow or Monday to give it a real test, but I'm much closer than I was.
    Picker....
    The Duct Tape Motto- If ya can't get the job done right... just get it done.

“As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.” — Dick Cavett

"Also, it is important to remember that basses have 4 strings. Not 5 (that would be a banjo), not 6 (that's a guitar), 4 strings... and the bigger and fatter you can get them, the better the tone you'll achieve. No, I'm not joking."
    - Fletcher

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"... Hunter S. Thompson

Sounds like you're on the right track and good choice on the kick mic.

Comment

Thanks... that makes me feel better... I know its a standard, but was sorly tempted by the AT25 or the Audix. If I'd had more money to spend I was thinking of the EV RE20 which I hear sounds great on kick, but it's 2 or 3 times the price.

I settled on the AKG and it seems good so far.

The best money spent was the new heads for the snare... I was amazed at how much better it sounds now.
      Picker....
      The Duct Tape Motto- If ya can't get the job done right... just get it done.

“As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.” — Dick Cavett

"Also, it is important to remember that basses have 4 strings. Not 5 (that would be a banjo), not 6 (that's a guitar), 4 strings... and the bigger and fatter you can get them, the better the tone you'll achieve. No, I'm not joking."
      - Fletcher

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"... Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
      X