Compact Kit?

shniggens

• Members

Looking to fit the most compact kit I can find in a small corner of my house . . .

How should I approac building the smallest kit possible?

Besides the obvious pieces - Bass, Snare, and Hi Hat, I would like a Ride and at least one Tom.

Can you guys tell I'm not a drummer ? ;)

Thanks.

:wave:

• Members

Cocktail Kit

They have been around since the 40s. Basically, you take a floor tom, put a batter head on the bottom, and hit it with a cocktail pedal. Then you put a baffle in the center and a snare assembly underneath the top head, and you've turned the floor tom into a snare/bass drum combo.

Add a pair of mini-toms or mini-timbales, a pair of hats and a crash/ride and you have a full set-up.

• Members

Okay, so how big do you want it to get?

A cocktail kit is the smallest. You can get Ludwig, Slingerland or Yamaha kits, or build them yourself.

Next is the travel kits. Those include the Pearl Rythm Traveler, The Yamaha Hipgig, The Precision Drum Compact Traveler or The Purecussion Headset.

Then there are the compact kits. Those include the Gretsch Catalina Club, The Tama Stagestar Custom EFX, or the Yamaha Hipgig Sr. One thing to keep in mind is that although these are the same sizes as the "Jr" kits, they are made for adults and gigging. The standard Tama Stagestar is a junior kit. The Stagestar Customs are the same sized shells, but are made for adults.

• Members

Great info!

I'll look into which one will best suit my needs.

The biggest problem I have with my friends kit that is now in the space in question is the ride stand. Granted, if I just got rid of the ride, that would free up some much needed space.

Thanks for all the info. :wave:

Archived