What drum set should I get on a budget?

pete408

• Members

here's the deal, I'm a guitarist, I've messed around on drums for years and want to get my own kit. I want to spend less than $300 though...is there any kit in this price range (new or used) that isn't completely horrible? I'm not looking to gig or anything, just to improve my skills.

• Members

I'd say look for a used Yamahe Stage Custom. For "middle level" drums, you can make them sound gorgeous. I've had a Grammy-winning engineer swear that I was using a Starclassic kit when he heard a recording - GREAT drums for the price!

• Members

My initial reaction is that there is no drumset with cymbals and hardware for under $300 bucks that isn't completely horrible.

Now, if all you can spend is $300 bucks, that may mean you have to buy a kit that's completely horrible to learn on.

Check ebay, check the local used rack, but I think this is going to be a real challenge.

/willy

• Members

First off i would recommend going to any music stores that carry drums and ask and look to see if there are any used sets.

Second. Ludwig Accent CS Power Drumset. its $320ish. Here are the details: http://www.zzounds.com/item--LUDLC125

Here are some others:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/perc/navigation?N=100001+304764+9&page=1

I would suggest going with the Ludwig over the Pulse drumsets. I have played on a few accent cs's and they get the job done and they come from a reliable company.

good luck

• Members

Originally posted by pete408

here's the deal, I'm a guitarist, I've messed around on drums for years and want to get my own kit. I want to spend less than $300 though...is there any kit in this price range (new or used) that isn't completely horrible? I'm not looking to gig or anything, just to improve my skills.

I recommend Mapex Q Fusion for ~ $450

That`s very good kit.

• Members

You are in luck.... I just got the guitar center sale ad and there is a deal that fits your need perfectly. But a sabian B8 cymbal pack (18" crash/ride and 13" hi hats) for 279ish get 2 pairs of vater drum sticks a few dvds and a FREE drumset. It is a pacific drum set, on the cheaper side but it will be nearly as good as the Ludwig Accent CS. I think hardware and a throne is included. So stop at the closest guitar Center and take up that offer.

• Members

Wow that guitar center ad sounds up my alley...thanks. Yeah I know there's only mediocre kits at my price range, I'm just looking for something where the cymbals won't break in a couple weeks....just something that will hold up for me to get better on, I'm not looking for gigging or recording quailty. Thank you all for your input!

• Members

I believe this is an in-store only deal. I did see someone by 2 of these deal this weekend while I was in GC. If you are just looking for something to play and to learn on I would highly suggest this! I started on B8s many moons ago and they will last even a beginner. Through in a free Pacific set and your in good shape.

Just call your local guitar center and ask if they have the "B8 Performance pack with Free Pacific EZ drumset" They should know exactally what your looking for by that description.

Danny

Archived