Premier set, bass drum has two resonator heads??

evrzeh

• Members

I can't find any information on a premier set I bought used that has two resonator heads.

The first head is inset like a normal resonator head and the second

is flush with the edge of the bass drum shell. I was told this was an APK set but I've seen elsewhere

that APKs have the inside of the shell painted black, which this set does not. It is made in England

and has the tom mounts that don't mount directly on the tom shell.

Has anyone seen a bass drum like this? Also, any ideas what model this is?

• Members

Originally posted by evrzeh

I can't find any information on a premier set I bought used that has two resonator heads.

The first head is inset like a normal resonator head and the second

is flush with the edge of the bass drum shell. I was told this was an APK set but I've seen elsewhere

that APKs have the inside of the shell painted black, which this set does not. It is made in England

and has the tom mounts that don't mount directly on the tom shell.

Has anyone seen a bass drum like this? Also, any ideas what model this is?

take off the second reso or it will dammage your bearing edges, plus i can't see why anyone would want to have more resonation on the bass drum?

• Members

I've owned two Premier kits. The first because it was the right kit at the right time, and the second because of "brand loyalty" (don't get me wrong. Artist Maple, I really like it).

Anyway, I haven't seen anything like that on any of the Premier kits I've looked at. Did this kit come to you from a dealer, or from a private party? I'm wondering what the chances are that this dual reso configuration is somebody's misguided concept of a good idea.

/w

• Members

I bought it from a private party. I'm going to take the outer head off tonight. I'm wondering how you could even tighten two resonators so that they were tuned properly unless you have to sets of lugs..

• Members

I bought it from a private party. I'm going to take the outer head off tonight. I'm wondering how you could even tighten two resonators so that they were tuned properly unless you have to sets of lugs..

you can't!!!!!!:freak:

• Members

Here's a pic where you can see the lugs are against the second resonator head instead of the wooden ring that goes behind where the "correct" resonator head is. I took the outer one off since it was stupid and it made it really hard to carry.

216529043_fe4b57d174_o.jpg

• Members

Here's a pic where you can see the lugs are against the second resonator head instead of the wooden ring that goes behind where the "correct" resonator head is. I took the outer one off since it was stupid and it made it really hard to carry.

216529043_fe4b57d174_o.jpg

how does it sound now? any better?

• Members

Originally posted by JSimms

That
may be
the strangest thing I have ever seen.

:confused:

Yeah. Strange. AND it makes the drum hard to carry!

Somebody got it in their mind that they should change the reso, but still wanted the drum to say, "Premier" on it, so they slapped the original head on there like that. That's my guess.

/w

• Members

Looks like somebody really liked the look of that Premier black head and just wanted to rig a way to keep it on the drum.

Either that, or somebody tried to build some kind of "woofer" knockoff.

Either way, take it off and you'll be all set.

• Members

Originally posted by FitchFY

Wow, that IS odd. Unique, but odd. I'm really curious to know if that was factory or customized...

I bet it was not like that from the factory. This is the second premier set I've had and they both had heads labelled as premier on all the shells. The "inside" head on the bass drum was a Remo

• Members

Originally posted by WillyRay

[...]Somebody got it in their mind that they should change the reso, but still wanted the drum to say, "Premier" on it, so they slapped the original head on there like that. That's my guess.

/w

Yeah... Or they're just stupid. :D lol

Archived