Drum Cases?

cqc6

• Members

Hello All,

I was wonder what kind of drum cases do you use?

I am in need of some cases- I have a Grand Masters series GMS kit. 8 10 12 14 16" toms and 18x22" kick. Various snares.

Anyone have those Stagg cases advertised in Modern Drummer? Just wondering. Any opinions appreciated. Thankd all!

• Members

hmmm- It depends- if you have a real expensive kit or whatever then alot of people invest in Hard Cases (hard cases are a pretty reputable brand).

I personally like softer cases. Being a jazz drummer, they are perfect for my kit and I find that they're much easier for carrying about and transport. Not had any damage to my drums yet!

Dunno what the stagg ones in moder drummer were (i dont get it) but my snare is housed in a soft stagg case which seems fine.

• Members

Unless you are consistently, on almost a daily basis, moving, and/ or transporting your drums from one place to another, especially by air travel, than you need to invest in quality hard cases, they are expensive, but invaluable to the life of your drums. As for, regualar, expert/semi-professional transport, like in your car, than I recommend a high quality soft gig cases. I use the Protection Rackets for my drums and cymbals when I gig, and let me tell you, they work. They are hardy, roadworty, high quality, and I highly recommend them. Plus, you can get a full set for under 200 bucks. You really can't go wrong with them. Living in Florida, I know that they resist moisture, and heat pretty well also. Also, getting soft cases, you can get sizes that are a little bigger for your drums, and use them for multiple drums. For example, I bought the 6.5x14 snare drum case, I use it for both my 6" steel snare, as well as my 5.5" snare drums. All you have to do, is stuff a towel, or an old T-shirt to pad the drums and fill out the case. They have proven to be a real great purchase.:thu: :thu:

• Members

XL Specialty Percussion Elite Air Cases???

I have some. Also use SKB and H&B Enduro cases.

All are nice with (my opinion) SKB being the nicest. For the money involved, I think the XL Specialty Elites are a good deal. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of them, but I lean towards the SKB for top-o-da-line.

• Members

Hey,

When I price out my kit- The XL cases were ALOT cheaper then SKB. I want great cases and yes they have to be hard cases- so I need to make a decision soon.

The inside of the XLs is what I was concerned with- looks like there isnt much in there. The air ride this just seems like a few foam tabs- is it???

I cant find a really close pic of the inside of these cases.

The XLs seem like they are priced right. Thanks for all the advice so far.

• Members

I have a full set of the XL Specialty Percussion Elite Air Cases. I bought them for my vintage Ludwig kit, that I gig with regularly. One reason I bought them is that they make a case for a 14x20 bass, and a lot of brands don't. Also, the bass case has wheels, which is helpful sometimes.

The quality is very good, and they have held up to a full year of gigging almost every weekend. There is a little more flex in the bass drum case than I would like, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. The straps and handles work well.

I also found them online for a price much below SKB and Humes & Berg.

Here's a story: I have a Humes & Berg Enduro case for my DW 18x22 bass drum. The handle pulled out after a couple of years. It was never abused, but was always carried by me to and from my car. The case has a LIFETIME WARRANTY, so I took it back to the music shop where I bought it. They called H&B and were told that the warranty applies ONLY to the plastic case itself, and not to handles or straps. I was not a happy camper. So in the end, the store put a new handle on for me, no charge.

Then I was at PASIC, and I met the president of Humes & Berg (I can't recall now if it was Mr Humes or Mr Berg). I told him my story. He took my name and address and promised to personally send me a new handle to mount on the case. He never sent it and that was the last I heard from him. So now they lost all future business from me. Whatever happened to customer service?

Bottom line: I love my XL Specialty Percussion Elite Air cases.

-FunkyWilly

• Members

Yes, but there are molded forms inside the cases so the foam pads are raised off the bottom and lid of the case. So the drums only touch the case in a few places, right on the rims, protected by the foam. The foam isn't much, but it seems to be enough. I wish I could explain it better. You really need to see it to understand how the drums fit in. They do "ride on air" for the most part.

I think the SKB cases look like the best, if money were no object, but the XL does an excellent job and much lower cost. I think I bought my 4-piece set of XL for the price of one SKB bass case.

-FunkyWilly

• Members

SKB has the best warantee for hard cases. They have never let me down. I broke a latch on hardware case, all my fault- called them up and explained the situation and had a new SET of all three latches at my door within a week. No charge. :)

I don't know if you can buy a whole set of four XL cases for the price of one SKB... That seems a little off. But, I don't find the SKB's to be THAT far out of line compared to any others.

If you're gonna spend the money, go with SKB over H&B. I had to get some H&B cases because SKB doesn't make a 26" kick case. :mad: H&B now make the Enduro Pro series which looks just like the SKB line. But not offered in a lot of sizes.

If you want to save a little but still have decent hard cases, XL Elites are the way to go.

• Members

Kaces bags aren't bad. A good value for the $$ in my book, esp. if your set is a wrap.

If you've got a laquer set, though, I'd recommend ponying up the bucks for a hard case if you're doing any gigging around town. Even with a good set of bags, you'll cringe everytime you bang one into something (and that is going to happen).

I know that Gator makes a set of knock-off SKB cases, but I can't attest to the quality. Anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.gatorcases.com

-bruce

Archived