Ludwig Black Beauty, Is it really "all That"?

acefaceace

• Members

I can't answer your question since I've never played one either, but I've often wondered myself if the b/b is so much better than other brass snare drums out there that it can really warrant the 6 or 7 hundred dollar price tag. I'm sure alot of the price comes from the antique black finish and the simple fact that it's a world renowned drum...but $700!?!?! Sheesh.

• Members

From what I've garnered, the old ones from the 20's and 30's are really something special. And they get ginormous sums on ebay when they appear. But the 70's re-issue Black Beauties are more of a collector spawned phenomenon I think. They were different in their time because there weren't a lot of brass snares available back then, and it was the only one Ludwig was putting out. But if you are looking for "that sound" I think you could do just as good with something like the WorldMax Black Dog/Hawg Series. You could almost buy 3 of them for what the 70's BB's are going for.

• Members

I have played a black beauty on a couple of occasions. I remember them being very sensitive, although that has more too do with tuning the snares, but I always liked it. When I was purchasing a brass snare for myself, I was torn between a Ludwig black beauty, or DW brass, Yamaha brass. I really like the black beauty, but I went with the DW, because I figure one day I will have the money to buy a vintage one.

The black beauty set the standard for brass snares. Also, the engraving, original parts, ect...and other collectors "items of interest" tend to push the price way up, in the thousands. They are warm, punchy, beautiful sounding drums. The vintage drums are nothing short of amazing.

Is it the best, or as you say, "all that"? Well, thats a matter of opinion, but they are the original standard by which other drums have been measured for decades since. Just like the Gretsch Radio king snare drums from the 40's and 50's are the original standard of wood snare drums. Levis, Coca Cola, and Ford, the Ludwig Black Beauty is an American original, and worthy of praise of all drummers.

Hope this helps

• Members

You see, there are all kinds of "Black Beauties." When you say Black Beauty, you could be talking about an original Black Beauty from the 20s worth thousands of dollars. You could be talking about a 100th anniversary edition that is hand-engraved with brass tube lugs that comes inside a custom, hand built cherry wood case that is worth a couple thousand. You could also be talking about a Brass-on-Brass Black Beauty that is worth 700~1000 dollars. ...or you could be talking about a used B/O Badge Black Beauty with Supraphonic Lugs and an SS strainer that is worth about 200 bucks.

All of these drums have one thing in common: The shell.

Granted, the one from the 20s is a two-piece shell and the rest are single piece shells, but it all amounts to one thing. A bell brass shell that is plated with nickel.

All things equal, I would just as soon get the B/O Supraphonic BB, but as it turns out, the Brass on Brass looks very sexy in addition to sounding great.

Let's not forget that the whole reason that BB became so popular is the VERSITILITY. While most drums have a sweet spot of heads and tunings, the BB handles most tunings well and has a great range of available voices depending on head choice.

So, is it all that? Not really.

However, it is hard to go wrong with it.

Besides, every major manufacturer makes a nickel plated bell brass snare, so it isn't like you are stuck with the Ludwig.

• Members

Well let me REPHRASE....

I'm more talking about the reissues, the ones that cost about

5-600 bucks that you could buy brand new from a Ludwig

Dealer...Are those all they say they are?

Because to me, i'd think you could do just as well with

a nice DW brass snare or even the Nickel Edge.

• Members

I bought myself a brass on brass BB with the millenium strainer a few months ago whilst on tour in America. Thanks to getting a load of other gear at the time managed to pick it up for $560 brand new.

It is a stunning drum. I've always wanted a BB, and I wasn't disappointed.

I was sold on the sensitivity and quality of sound. I'm never found spending time on applying damping, fine tuning this and that. Chuck a good head on it (I like a coated emperor) and tighten to pitch. It's that easy.

Wonderful drum, a true classic and something that'll always command respect and hold its value.

• Members

Originally posted by acefaceace

Well let me REPHRASE....

I'm more talking about the reissues, the ones that cost about

5-600 bucks that you could buy brand new from a Ludwig

Dealer...Are those all they say they are?

Because to me, i'd think you could do just as well with

a nice DW brass snare or even the Nickel Edge.

The Ludwig Black Beauty with Brass tube lugs and Millenium snares is around $580.00

The Ludwig Black Beauty with Chrome plated Imperial lugs, Supraphonic snares and the P-85 throw-off is around $450.00

The 100+ dollar difference is that the Brass on Brass has die-cast hoops and looks dead sexy.

The 3-inch depth imperial isn't that great. The 5 inch imperial is the best bell brass 5-inch snare at that price point on the market. The 6 1/2 inch imperial is a little overpriced compared to the Pork Pie Big Black Brass.

As for the 5-inch, compare it to the Tama Trackmaster, the Pearl Brass Sensitone, the Noble and Cooley Alloy Classic, and the Mapex Premium Series Black Panther Bell Brass Snare. All of them are about equal as far as the sound that you will get out of them, the Mapex is a little more affordable, but not as sexy as the Ludwig. It's a hundred dollar difference, and if you get either one used, it is going to be the same price. The Pearl can also be had in a Free-Floating version that can accept Kevlar heads if you are into that sort of thing. The Noble and Cooley has semetrical venting and sound dryer than all the others. The Tama has some great engraving and looks better and costs more than all of them.

Is it all that? If you have to have one drum to do several different jobs, then yes, it is all that. Not only that, but it is at a price point that is reasonable considering the competition.

Do I own one? No. I own a few acrolites, and a musashi. I have them all tuned in the ways that I would be tuning the BB, but instead of switching heads, I switch drums. Plus, I got the acros and musashi's used for less than what a BB would cost. ($80 per acro and $150 for the musashi).

• Members

my first experience with a BB was this summer at a recording session.

the thing sounded fantastic.

there are LOTS of fantastic sounding snare drums out there.

I hope to own a BB someday based on the one day I spent with one, but I realize I may find a drum I like as much or better in the meantime.

My Yamaha 5.5X14 copper snare is a sweet drum anyway.

Archived