Unofficially the 125,108th thread on snares

kvon

• Members

I know you folks see 100 of these threads a day, and I wanted to actually search for threads on this; alas, the search function doesn't work and I'm just another dude with a redundant question.

I've been looking at both new and used snares, and I remember a thread that had something about Pearl Sensitone snares. There's an interesting one on ebay here, and I was wondering if anyone has advice on it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280048579449

Really, any snare recommendations would help as I'm looking for things in the 200-300$ price range (preferably around 250). The qualities I'm looking for are responsiveness, sensitivity, as well as a sexy crack (I know what you're thinking...) basically a versatile snare.

• Members

In your price range , Yamaha has an extensive collection of professional snares, all models, all types, for around 300 bucks. They sound great, and are in your budget. If you want to go to 400, DW makes great professional quality snares. But in no way as extensive and affordable a selection as yamaha has right now.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by kvon

Thank you sherman, what Yamaha models would you recommend?

The $250 steel snare is amazing. Cuts like steel, yet sings like maple. I played one for 4 years at my teachers house, i was shocked and in awe when after 4 years.....he told me it was steel.deviltonque.gif

• Members

Aqua, does Yammie make different versions of the "steel" snare?? I have one but is closer to the $150-200 Acrolite version from what I've seen. The drum shop included this snare with my Stage Customs when my wife got the set for me.

Kvon. I think the Pearl "looks" good for what you say. The 5x14" is a good size to be an all around good snare and be responsive and sensitive. When you say versatile I assume you mean like an all around or "workhorse" snare. Workhorse meaning it works in many types of music, stays in tune, easy to change sound for diferent music etc...

The 5x14 is the best veratile size. Heads will make a big difference too. The Pearl looks like a 10 lug (vs an 8 lug) which will make it easier to fine tune ( aka more sensitive)

A big help might be saying the songs you like the snare sound on and what type of music you play..

Are many workhorses in the $180-200 range, Ludwig Acrolites and Supersonics, Yamaha Steels. Pearls Etc. (read DWs' My new Toy' post) for further info.

Many entry level snares are in the $80-150 range

Many mid line snares are in the $150-250 Range

Many entry pro level snares are $220-350 range

Many collectors or high end snare are $400 and more.

BUT, all that is all highly suggestive!! Meaning that if I had my pick, I would chose my Steel, a Ludwig $180 Supraphonic, A $110 Piccolo snare like DW has and maybe a 12" Gretch snare for accents etc.

Check out Pearl.com, Yamaha.com, Ludwig.com Etc.....Picking out a snare is like picking out your favorite cup or spot on the beach. It's highly personal and and only for your tastes and it may take awhile to find that out..

Hope this helps

• Members

I recommend a 5.5x14 snare for all around work-horse purposes. Since I think your in the market for a metal snare, you can never go wrong with steel. The yamaha steel snares are great, but recently, I have really enjoyed the warmth of brass snare drums. Like Aqualung and Twosticks said before, you can never go wrong with a Ludwig Supraphonic. My uncle still plays his old school supraphonic, and it sings, and its probobly 30 years old now, so talk about a workhorse of a snare drum. Also, people rave about the STuart Copeland signature snare, and I think that is in your 200-300 price range. Good luck..:thu:

• Members

Thank you guys so much for your help, I appreciate all the advice, and I know what you mean about snare choices being a personal preference. And are all supraphonics good or is there a certain period in time when the best supraphonics were made?

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

do look into the pearl free floating snares. I played a 6X14 maple that was a joy.

+1 :thu:

I played on one a few weeks ago and I now know my snare of choice. For my style it was a no brainer, except for the $384 price tag.

• Members

Originally posted by cheeseadiddle

Maybe you misunderstood him and he said "it was
a steal
:confused:

No....it was steel. I didn't believe him at first, and he tapped the shell and took the head off. amazing snare, he'd bust out with all kinds of jazz {censored}, whispered like a ghost.......very versatile, and balls of *wait fir it*.........steel.:D

• Members

I'm sure the old vintage ones have cool retro logos, and original hardware, and I'm sure they rock. But, as for the new Supraphonics, I would imagine they have the same integrity and similar sound, I mean, the design of the snare probobly hasn't changed that much, only the hardware really. If you can get vintage, can never go wrong, if it is playable and quality.:thu:

Pearl Free Floating snares are unbelievable, I think they are probobly one of the best snares ever, never played the maple one though, only the brass.

I know this is off the topic, anyone own a Keplinger snare...:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by kvon

Thank you guys so much for your help, I appreciate all the advice, and I know what you mean about snare choices being a personal preference. And are all supraphonics good or is there a certain period in time when the best supraphonics were made?

From what I've heard, the best Supraphonics were from the 70's but are now made as reissues which are said to be as good soundwise and better material wise.

If I could test one in person, I would have no issue with a newer one...Just my thoughts...

Neat thing to try is to find music shops in big cities close to you.... just to visit and actually hit the stuff they have, will help you tons to decide what works for you. IMHO

Archived