Tuning a snare to get this specific sound...

Zeromus-X

• Members

Looking for a snare sound that is all "crack" or "pop". Kinda hard to tell from that particular video because the sound quality isn't all there, but you can kinda get the idea.

Here's a more "studio" recording from them... head to Amazon via this link -- warning, explicit lyrics -- and probably the easiest one to hear is the audio clip for "Raise Hell".

Alternately, here's a different band that kinda has the same sound I'm trying to find... listen to the audio clip for "Blind Eye Halo" for the easiest one to hear.

I assume this is just a really tight top head and tight snares, or what? I haven't been able to find anything that doesn't ring like hell. I've got a 14"x6.5" wooden snare with stock snares and reso, and an Evans coated single-ply top head.

• Members

You could try a piccolo or if that doesn't pop enough, a popcorn size.

For your 14" ...

A coated falams would bring the pitch up and you can kill the ring with anything. A one inch Noble & Cooley Zero Ring works nicely.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that one of those examples has a touch of radical portamento mixed in. Could be a layer of any keyboard sound or drum sample thusly effected. Or my media player.

• Members

Doesn't really sound like the heads are that tight. I get the impression that it's a brass or steel shell with medium tight tensioned batter head and a zero ring, using loud rimshots and heavily compressed.

My opinion. Let's see what else comes up.

• Members

I've been getting a very woody crack/pop with a Powerstroke 3 fairly tight and a 300 weight evans snare side with the snares pulled pretty tight on my Yammy Beech snare. Of course, the rim shots really bring out the crack. Without them, it's just a tight, dense thwap more or less. For me, the powerstroke 3 has been a perfect medium between too much ring and a completely dead and lifeless two-ply sound.

Archived